3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB?

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
Here is my situation. I currently own an early 2000's Terramite T5C TLB. It weighs a little more than 3000 lbs and can pick up 1700 according to the specs. It is absolutely unrefined but has been a tough little machine. You can literally stand on the hood or fenders, heavy gauge metal everywhere. I have been contemplating selling it and getting a compact tractor with a FEL. I want to be able to run a log splitter off of it, box blade, rear blade, generator, etc. I cannot do any of this with the Terramite.

This is mostly for personal use on a measly 2 acres, although I may do side jobs with it. I stopped to look at Mahindras the other day, and they look nice, about like every other new compact tractor out there. What led me to Mahindras is they seem to have better front and rear lift capacities than Kubota, Kioti, or Bobcat. It seems they rate at the loader pins and not in the bucket, which is deceptive. Anyway, I NEED as much loader capacity as I can get, in as small of a footprint as possible. Honestly the Max28 would be better sized for me, but I really want the ability to dump over the side of a 1 ton dump truck, run SSQA attachments, and lift as heavy of weight as possible. The 3016HST APPEARS on paper to have the best specs for a tractor this size.

Might I be selling an industrial machine and picking up a toy? Anyone have any experience with compact tractors AND Terramites?

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #2  
I had a Terramite. It was a tough unit. It looked like a refined shop built unit with thick plate steel, etc. Not pretty, but stoutly built and stronger than expected. I don't think you will be disappointed in the 3016H TLB. The ML115skc loader is very good. It is spec'd at the bucket pins like about half the manufactures do specs. A more realistic spec would be center of the bucket I suppose. With a set of forks and the weight centered on a 48" pallet, 1000 lbs + is no problem, but it won't do 1650 lbs in that manner. The new 3720 is really a nice backhoe and it won't disappoint you. I think the Max 28 TLB would be plenty for most guys with 2 acres, but with the questions you are asking regarding lift capacity and strength, that tells me you are a better candidate for the larger tractor.

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB?
Thanks for the reply. I also think Terramite rates front lift capacity at the pins, as I cannot believe it could be rated for 1700 lbs forward of the pins given the overall weight of the tractor. So, it would seem I would not really be giving up any front lift capacity, assuming both are rating their loaders with real numbers. I hang clamp on forks on the Terramite's bucket and pick up skid sized bins of firewood. It amazes me the weight it will pick up to full height. But, I cannot imagine the 3016 with SSQA forks couldn't be able to do the same thing even easier given how much closer to the pins the load would be.
Question on the hydraulics... I believe they rate the 3016 at 7.8 gpm. Is this a combined flow of multiple pumps? I want to know what the flow AND pressure is if I were to add a rear remote and run a log splitter off of it. I do have to say Mahindra's published specs are riddled with inconsistencies and the information is scant. Also, do dealers offer as an option a valve to be able to run a grapple? I see guys on here adding fancy button controls for third functions on their loader joystick and it seems like a cool idea. If I were to have a third function added, would it also have the full hydraulic flow and pressure that the rear remote would have? I know it is not all needed for a grapple, but I had thought of running an inverted log splitter on the front in place of the bucket to split very large pieces of wood while they are on the ground. I have seen these used on skid steers. I appreciate the assistance, and I wish you were in PA!

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #4  
Note the Max 28 BH is considerably weaker than the Kabota BH65 for the B2920, previous model Mahindra that the Max 28 replaced had a better BH closer to the BH65 specs.

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #5  
Mahindra doesn't combine their hydraulic pump specs, the 7.8 gpm is to the remotes. As for the pressure, I think it is arround 2250 psi and I will look it up when I get to the shop and get back to you. The 3rd function switch is an aftermarket addition and will work on the Mahindra as well as any other make. I will get back when I look up the pressure spec. 2205 psi should be the min. spec.

Last edited:
   / 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #6  
Thanks Galen, I agree with your response.

As for the backhoe, 7.8 gpm is plenty. Nobody complains about backhoe flow issues on these units. Seems the hydraulic flow and needed flow (cylinder sizes) are pretty well matched. Many folks run the tractor at 1500-1800rpm which is only about 5-6 gpm and that works well, and then bump it up to full rpm if they are a good operator and rockin' and rollin' down a trench or something.

As far as front remotes, many dealers offer two options, both aftermarket. One is basically a diverter valve with a push button. Press the button and flow that would normally go elsewhere (often the tilt cylinders) will go to a front remote. The second and better way for some attachments is a rocker switch that controls an electric over hydraulic spool. I like this with something like a grapple, as you may want to use all three spools at once as you lower the boom and tilt the grapple and close the grapple. The electric spool costs more.

On log splitters, the cool deal about a typical Briggs and Stratton driven unit is that they almost always are coupled to a two-stage pump. The first stage is hi-flow and low pressure and as soon as it gets resistance it goes into the high-pressure low-speed phase. That is ideal for a large cylinder. A tractor pump isn't that way. It is a simple gear pump that spits out a certain amount of volume per pump revolution. To run a 5" splitter cylinder quickly takes a lot of volume, you'll need to have the tractor up at or near full rpm to move that cylinder quickly with a regular gear pump.

And what you say about the strength of the Terramite is true. They are beasts for such small units. I think ours did not have a disconnectable loader or backhoe, but I can't remember for sure. Ours was a 2wd.

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB?
Thanks for info gentlemen. I would be curious to hear the system PSI, as that would have a big impact on running a splitter. I am familiar with the engine driven two stage pump splitters, I own one with a friend. My thought was to have him buy out my half and I would get a unit that mounts to the 3 point and use the tractor's hydraulics. My other thought was a pto driven pump to get a much higher flow and thus quicker cylinder cycle times for the splitter.

If a front remote was installed, it will tie into the front loader circuit. Does the front loader circuit have the same gpm flow and psi as the rest of the system? I know my Terramite flows less gpm at the loader circuit vs the backhoe circuit. Again, my thought was having the ability of the front remote be able to not only run a grapple but perhaps run a loader mounted inverted log splitter.

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #8  
You need not worry about running a splitter. I have a Mahindra 2615 with a 3point splitter. I never run my engine over 1800 rpm, and usually split at around 1500 rpm, depending upon the type of wood.

You may be able to get quicker cycle times with a PTO driven pump, but I believe you would be running at much higher rpm, thus using more fuel, and making more noise. Also, you will pay more for a PTO type unit. If you are in a hurry to split wood, go with the DR RapidFire. DR RapidFire Log Splitter | DR Power Equipment I don't think you will find a 3 Point with as much speed.

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #9  
I just recently purchased a 5010 hst with cab they installed the push button valve to run the grapple, first they had the hoses hooked up wrong they swapped them worked one day now it seems the push button switch has gone out. Love the tractor hope this gets fixed soon switch is on order. Has anybody else had problems with these valves.

/ 3016HST, strong enough to replace a dedicated TLB? #10  
I just recently purchased a 5010 hst with cab they installed the push button valve to run the grapple, first they had the hoses hooked up wrong they swapped them worked one day now it seems the push button switch has gone out. Love the tractor hope this gets fixed soon switch is on order. Has anybody else had problems with these valves.

That's probably an aftermarket diverter valve, not a OEM Mahindra option? Just guessing, as that is the way most dealers handle add-on hydraulics. I'd check to see if the valve or diverter still has voltage. It may have popped a fuse, or I suppose it could be a bad switch.