5055e mufler clamp leak

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #1  

fieldman12

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled
I noticed the clamp that attaches the muffler to the turbo arear appears to be blowing out some black soot on my plastic hood. I checked the clamp and it was a little loose so I tightned it. It still blows some soot. Anyone elses do it? If so, how did you fix? Im worried about it getting the hood hot. I know the hood can stand some heat as the muffler is close but not sure about the direct smoke.

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #2  
HELLO BUDDY. I HAVE THE SAME TYPE OF THING GOING ON WITH MY NEW 3520 WITH VERTICLE EXHAUST OPTION. I GOT SOME BLOWBUY BUT NEVER REALLY BOTHERED ME. MAYBE GET ANOTHER CLAMP AND TIGHTEN HER DOWN. OUTSIDE OF THAT, I DONT THINK THERE IS MUCH YOU CAN DO OUT SIDE OF WRAPPING IT WITH SOME HEADER WRAP FROM SUMMIT RACING.COM. THAT MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak
I had thought about stuffing some of the wrap in where the bolt goes through the clamp cause that appears to be only place it's leaking. To be honest how the clamp goes together I dont see how it could not leak a little where th bolt goes through. Not sure if the muffler fits flush with the turbo or goes just inside to help seal. I also considered turning the bolt portion of the clamp towards the bottom down towards exhaust manifold. Im trying not to call my dealer out for something silly but I may do that before it's over.

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #4  
I had thought about stuffing some of the wrap in where the bolt goes through the clamp cause that appears to be only place it's leaking. To be honest how the clamp goes together I dont see how it could not leak a little where th bolt goes through. Not sure if the muffler fits flush with the turbo or goes just inside to help seal. I also considered turning the bolt portion of the clamp towards the bottom down towards exhaust manifold. Im trying not to call my dealer out for something silly but I may do that before it's over.

yeaah I understand. sorry about the caps. im new here and my computer is weird. I have a turbo as well so maybe ill go down to the garage in a bit and look at the connection my self. there has to be a way to wrap it some how and seal it. I have had this issue with new equipment such as caterpillar on the job as well. We don't care as much about the smaller things when it is isn't ours

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #5  
I've got the same thing with my JD5075M. Right at the junction of the muffler and the vertical pipe. Annoying.. It's spitting black splotches everywhere. But, I've got some old (thin) gasket material and when it warms up, plan to pull the pipe off and wrap it with the thin strip of gasket material and tighten everything back up.

AKfish

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak
I've got the same thing with my JD5075M. Right at the junction of the muffler and the vertical pipe. Annoying.. It's spitting black splotches everywhere. But, I've got some old (thin) gasket material and when it warms up, plan to pull the pipe off and wrap it with the thin strip of gasket material and tighten everything back up.

AKfish

Is your getting on your plastic hood? If so, can you wipe your off. Mine don't appear to be coming off inside my hood.

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #7  
Ok I got a chance to look at the situation. I see no reason that we can't just take the clamp off all together and do a once over with header wrap and then put the clamp over it. I think it will bite down hard enough. Either that, slice I then piece and wrap it around once or twice between the turbo and clamp. The header wrap comes with twine to hold it.

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #8  
Is your getting on your plastic hood? If so, can you wipe your off. Mine don't appear to be coming off inside my hood.

Yes, on the side panel too. I used car wax to get it off. Have some on the tractor frame as well. Haven't tried to clean that off... yet. Too cold and when the tractor's in the garage I'm doing greasing, oil changes, etc. and not dealing with the more cosmetic stuff.

AKfish

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #9  

AKfish
On my 5045E the exit from the muffler to the exhaust pipe is a square flange with four bolts and a gasket in it. The exhaust pipe sweeps up to vertical and has two braces on it. No leaks that I can see. The clamp between the turbo and the muffler is a band type where the band is in the form of a half circle in cross section and I think snugs two flared ends, one on the muffler and one on the turbo together. It is bottomed out and you would have to file off some of the edges on each end to get it any tighter but mine for now isn't leaking.

/ 5055e mufler clamp leak #10  
Noticed this on my 5303, but haven't taken time to investigate to see where it is coming from. Noticed it under the hood when recently servicing and have seen it on exhaust side engine block. Will have to check closer. Sounds like may be an easy fix.