JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
We've all heard that the 110 TLB, that so many people love, has been discontinued. Are there any rumors of any sort of replacement for it?

I can't imagine JD completely giving up on the compact dedicated TLB segment. As of now, there really isn't anything to compete with the M59. I'd imagine JD would be working on a larger, more powerful TLB than the 110 was, to compete with the M59. Hopefully, it would come with a factory cab available! :thumbsup:

It would be nice to see something like the M59 with just a bit more power at the PTO, and maybe one of those fancy cabs that the Deeres are so famous for.

Anyone have any inside scoop? What would you like to see in the next generation Deere TLB?

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #2  
I "heard" they where not going to replace or update it. The downturn in the economy sent the sales into the toilet since most of them went to small/medium sized builders, contractors, and construction companies.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #3  
I'm sure a smallish TLB has it's uses, but skid-steers and mini-ex's have to be tough to compete against in that market segment.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #4  
I haven't heard anything about a replacement for the 110 and am glad I was able to get a new one when I did. I was concerned when Deere dropped the 110 as I think it is a very convenient size tlb for my uses with alot of transporting. Kubota's L45 and M59 are very good machines too so atleast this segment of the market is still well covered. All of these are good machines for a wide variety of small jobs but if you have alot of larger jobs the choices open up quite a bit and the larger backhoes and excavators will dig faster and deeper. The larger machines are more task specific though and if you wan't the tlb flexibility the M59 is a good choice in new equipment.

There are times I could use a larger tractor, excavator, wheel loader and the truck trailer to move them but I am not willing to go to all the expense in todays economy. While the larger equipment is more efficient for the big jobs it still takes alot of time and money and good jobs to pay for it.

My point is that you can always wish for a little more power, lift and reach and that is never ending. For your clearing work I would still recommend you get an excavator in there that can pluck out those stumps without fooling around. Whether it is smart to buy it or hire it is the more important question.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110
I can see the point about the skidsteer and mini ex combo being a much better situation for contractors, but I feel like there is a decent market for these in the "homeowner" segment. There are a lot of us who spend some considerable coin on brand new, very expensive tractors, and I would think that the TLB sort of fits into that category as well? It seems like the majority of the 110, L35, L48, and M59 owners are using them for more personal use and not commercial.
Then again, I guess it takes a LOT of wealthy homeowners to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer to produce them, so I can see both sides of the discussion. I believe that something like the M59 with more PTO HP would sell better, but I know there is a tradeoff there too, the more power you want in the PTO, the less you get for hydraulics, assuming the same size engine. Of course you can put a bigger engine in but also increase the cost.

I know some people use them for commercial use and can see the argument about it not being far off in price than the full sized TLB's used in construction, which are obviously a lot more capable.

Steve, do you use your 110 or 4720 more for jobs? Do you think a higher HP M59 would be a good fit for someone like you? Or is 2 machines still better? I see the advantage of 2 separate machines more and more lately.
I posted this more as a discussion to see if JD was planning any replacements. I always like to see what tractors/equipment they're coming out with. I completely agree that for my clearing project the ex is the way to go, even a higher powered M59 would be no comparison in clearing effectiveness.

There's no plan on the horizon for Kubota to stop making the M59 right? That'd be a shame.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #6  
I use a Bobcat B300 commercially. I would have liked the 110 but there were a few issues that made it less appealing. The lack of a spin around seat, inability to lift a 3600 lb. block and no factory cab has kept me n the Bobcat. The M59 seems like it would be a good fit but I can't find one locally to demo or rent prior to purchase. Also, Kubota still has no factory cab. At this point I'm probably going to end up with a full size used tlb and mid sized tractor. Both these can purchased for the same price or less than a 59, especially one with a cab. I guess this is what makes this size machine so tough to build. when the price gets too high it opens more options for skid steer/ mini ex combo's or full sized machine slightly used. If john deere would build one I would definitly buy one though.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #7  
I'm sure a smallish TLB has it's uses, but skid-steers and mini-ex's have to be tough to compete against in that market segment.

I see 110-sized machines going the way of 40 hp dozers like the old JD 300 and 350's, and thre IH 500C. Peole using it for work need more umph.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #8  
I see 110-sized machines going the way of 40 hp dozers like the old JD 300 and 350's, and thre IH 500C. Peole using it for work need more umph.

Can't say from personal experience, but I think a tracked skid steer and a tracked mini ex have to be more productive than a wheeled TLB of similar capacity and oomph. For machines doing similar-sized jobs, time is money for contractors.

I guess it depends on other things too. If you have a 110 tlb, you can trailer it about anywhere in one trip, and you have a hoe and bucket on-site when you get there.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #9  
In a perfect world you could choose the machine best suited for each project. In my world I make do with what I have.

Piston,
I probably use my 110 a little more than the 4520. I prefer having the separate machines for convenience and quite often have both of them working at the same time. If I need something larger I would consider adding a wheel loader, excavator and larger tractor but I would keep what I have for the close quarters and small jobs. Skidsteers have their good points but are not as well suited for my work as articulated wheel loaders, my money would go for a 10k to 14k lb wheel loader. Another way to go might be with a 210LJ landscape loader with 3PH and all hydraulics to cover loader and larger tractor in a single package and then get a larger excavator to dig.

capt_met,
The 110 size has its limitations but i ordered the Laurin cab with mine and have been well satisfied with it. I would prefer to have more fel capacity sometimes but 90% of the time it works well and I feel that is about par for the course. If you have enough room to use it a larger backhoe will certainly outperform the 110.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #10  
Can't say from personal experience, but I think a tracked skid steer and a tracked mini ex have to be more productive than a wheeled TLB of similar capacity and oomph. For machines doing similar-sized jobs, time is money for contractors.

I guess it depends on other things too. If you have a 110 tlb, you can trailer it about anywhere in one trip, and you have a hoe and bucket on-site when you get there.

And a compact tractor with top n tilt hitch too.