Drag Harrow

/ Drag Harrow #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
I really don't know anything about farming/ranching/whatever but I really enjoy making things.

I have a drag harrow just about complete. It's constructed from 2"X2"X.25" steel tubing for the frame and 3/4" cold rolled steel rod for the tines. It is 6' wide and 4.5' long with three rakes with tines 6" apart staggered 2". I struggled with tine length but settled at 2.5". It should be sufficient for flip/flopping on the food plots and may even help on leveling the driving trails. It'll also have center line connections to add strength and weight. I built a jig from a 2"X6" to locate the tines. Photos to follow.

Since I'll attach it to the drawbar that has a clevis hook on it, I assembled a chain with bits to attach everything. It's the first thing I've ever built that won't be painted/powdercoated as I'll just abrade the finish off.

/ Drag Harrow #2  
Sounds like you are doing it right.

I bought an old drag-only spike harrow and added features so I can lift it for the sharp turnaround at the end of my orchard rows.

First thing was a full width toolbar to pull it from. The implement is intended primarily to rip out blackberry vines and scrub oaks that grow so close to the orchard trees that discing doesn't get them, and some of those can be pretty hard to rip out, so I wanted something stronger than just the harrow chassis to take the shock when I hit something immovable. There are four tow chains from this drawbar back to the harrow so it can float as needed.

Then I made the lifting portion of the rig, which is a pulley that mounts on top of my QuickHitch. Since the lifting cable goes over this pulley and down to the tractor's drawbar, there is a compound lifting action when I raise the 3-point. Here's a photo I recently put in a post that was focused on welding, rather than the implement, but it should give you some idea what I'm talking about.

Good luck with your project!

/ Drag Harrow #3  
Dan,

Sounds like a good project but am not sure I understand you on the tine length, mine are about 6 inches below the frame IIRC. Here is a picture of the 8ft lift type harrow I built three years ago. IMatch ready and complete for $250.

Attachments

• 3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 1,415
  • 3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 2,305
   / Drag Harrow
I have some cat 1-2 bushings that I welded to tabs on the back side so I can hang it off the iMatch and then use drag chain to hang it for transport from the top hook. Tines go on tomorrow.

drag harrow.jpg

Last edited:
   / Drag Harrow
Completed.

drag2.jpg