BCS 732/730 help

/ BCS 732/730 help #1  

wmoulds

Tractor
BCS 730
I have just bought a second hand BCS 2 wheel tractor. I am having problems with the handle off-set lever and diff lock lever and the pto control. The steering column is this kind: http://www.bcsamerica.com/?attachment_id=7699

It was a ex-rental machine and it comes with a rotavator attachment, it hasn't been used for anything else. The handle lever, diff lock lever and pto control have never/rarely been used hence why I think they have seized up, as all the other controls work perfect.

Basically I need help on how to fix the handle off set, diff lock and pto control levers. I contacted a local dealer and he thinks I should try replacing the cables first of all. So I have ordered diff lock cable part no 58057287 and handle offset cable part no 58057284. The diff lock cable looks easy enough to replace but the handlebar adjuster cable I can't get my head around. I took the handle apart and tried to lubricate it etc as mentioned in a previous post I read but, the pin seems to move better but the cable still doesn't work, but I can't seem to get the cable off as the spring is in the way! Anyone any ideas how to remove it?

The linkage for the diff lock moves perfectly, just the cable has seized so that will hopefully be a simple replacement job to get that working.

The other problem is I can't move the pto control 180 degress as it has also seized. I have sprayed a lot of lubricant onto it but no luck. Any help would be much appreciated on how to fix this also.

/ BCS 732/730 help #2  
Hi Wmoulds,

Welcome to the group.

I've had very good luck with taking cables apart, cleaning out the sleeve, wiping the cables off, lubing, and reinserting them. The biggest thing that causes problems is if the end that's clamped gets too gnarled. Some just don't want to go back together.

You'll need to take the steering column off the pivot to get the cable out. The end that goes on the pin is threaded into it. Once the columns off the pivot and the cable clamp is removed from the lever, it'll come right out of its tube. You can see all this pretty clearly on page 13 of the parts list you referenced.

The PTO pivot can be a real bugger. You'll have to drive out the roll pin and drive the lever out. If it's seized as tight as mine was, you'll ned up in the trnsmission, replacing the PTO engagement shaft. Most of them let loose before that. Once you get it out, emery cloth the lever and apply liberal amounts of anti-seize.

/ BCS 732/730 help
Thanks for the reply.

I have done what you said by taking the steering column off the pivot and the cable clamp is removed from the lever but the cable won't come out at the end where the pin/cap is. The cable goes through the spring and attaches to the pin/cap but I cannot get at the pin due to the spring being in the way. Am I doing something wrong? Also is there anyway of getting the cable off the handle without cutting it? Page 16 shows the handle if you want to use there numbers to help me.

I will try the pto pivot advice tomorrow, hopefully it won't be too hard of a job or I will be tempted to just leave it the way it is.

Thanks for you help, its much appreciated. Really don't have the money/time to bring it to a dealer (135miles away)

/ BCS 732/730 help #4  
Did you take the cable clamp off (part 23 on page 16) the other end? To get it apart, you need to pull the cable out of the sleeve.

/ BCS 732/730 help
Part 23 is stuck in the handle. I can't seem to find a way to get it out plus there is no way of getting the cable out of it. But i have the handle lever disconnected from the handle so it is slack. For the other end do I need to remove the spring some how to remove the cable? I will post pictures later to help out with this.

Cheers.

/ BCS 732/730 help #6  
I seem to remember the cable has a tab pressed on it, but no reason for it to be there. This tab would have to have been installed at the factory after assembly. If I remember correctly, I had to snip off that tab on the 852 I worked on. I wish I had an 852 or 853 here to look at. As I've said often - I'm more familiar with the 830/850 versus the 852/853 (740 in your part of the world). Perhaps john from BCS shop will be along to help better than I.