Craftsman replacement parts

/ Craftsman replacement parts #1  

mhampton

Tractor
Craftsman GT 5000
Have a GT5000 and need a spindle and new blades as well as a couple other misc. parts that need fixing. Question is, are genuine OEM parts the only way to go? I find all sorts of 'deals' online but if I am going to spend the time and effort to do my own repairs I want to make sure I do it right so I don't have to do it again in a couple months. So, does anyone recommend spindles and blades from somewhere other than Sears that would be quality as well as save me some $$$?

/ Craftsman replacement parts #2  
Oregon and Stens parts seem to be of fair quality. I have also seen cases where the OEM parts acquired threw a poulan dealer were cheaper than through sears. good example, customer ordered a hydro fan through sears, Sears cost $48.00, When the part arrived it had the hydrogear part number molded into the fan. Hydrogear price through the dealer $7.95.

/ Craftsman replacement parts
Thanks, I found Stens blades for $8 online vs. $22 at sears. I thought $8 seemed too low to be any good but based on your example, it may not be. Sears is either making a killing or just marking up someone else's legwork.

/ Craftsman replacement parts #4  
gladto hear i am not the only one keeping sears in business...have spent;on average about 200.00 a year keeping mine going and hope i am getting smarter....the bearing i got from sears for 8.00? ifound at napa for 3.00 still haven't found belts,but will keep looking....sameproblemswith my kubota 9mm bolts,try finding those when you liveinthe sticks

/ Craftsman replacement parts #5  
Thanks, I found Stens blades for $8 online vs. $22 at sears. I thought $8 seemed too low to be any good but based on your example, it may not be. Sears is either making a killing or just marking up someone else's legwork.
I have both used and sold Stens blades in my repair shop. the quality seems to be on par with the OEM, Oregon aftermarket blades. Oregon actually makes blades for most of the OEM's

/ Craftsman replacement parts
Got the Stens blades put on last week and have mowed twice with them. These are just as good as the originals. $30 for a set of 3 delivered...no brainer. Mower is cutting the grass like butter. Now, on to those pesky little orchard mice chewing tunnels all over the yard.

/ Craftsman replacement parts #7  
I'll pipe in and say I've used Oregon Gator blades with excellent results, and Kevlar belts from vbeltsforless.com (about a third the price of Sears). My last spindles came from Ebay a few years ago, I think they were Stens. I got pretty fed up paying Sears' over-inflated prices.

Bill