No first or second gear on Grillo G85

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85 #1  

texanjim

Tractor
McCormick CX105, McCormick CX95, Case 1494, Grillo G85D
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, found it after recently impulse buying a used Grillo G85, 2002 model, at a machinery auction last week. I had never seen one before (or any two wheeled tractor really), but thought it would be perfect to help with a little market gardening at our new place, and generally be a useful tool to have around.

It's in moderate condition, ex hire. So probably had plenty of use with, one would hope, regular maintenance.

Had no time to test it before buying (stupid I know, but I couldn't resist), but did see the engine running well. After getting it home and having a play, found that the clutch cable was way to tight and slipped badly. After adjusting the clutch cable to its limit, we've discovered that only 3rd gear seems to work. 1st and 2nd don't drive the wheels at all. Obviously why it was in the sale. 3rd on the other hand shoots the machine forward with a powerful and satisfying wheel spin, before you have to let go because it's that bit to fast!

So after seeing some of the useful posts on here, and finding little else on the net in terms of help other than parts diagrams, I was hoping someone might have some insight as to where to start.

I'm hoping it just needs a clutch replacement, but not being that mechanically experienced, I'm not sure that having 3rd gear but not 2nd or 1st indicates just a worn clutch? Am I looking at a more costly repair do you think? Is there anything else I could try before stripping it down to see what's going on inside?

I will be taking it apart with my father who is a farmer and home mechanic of many years standing, so am looking forward to the challenge. I'm hoping someone here may have some experience that may help get me started.

Many thanks for your time and any help you can provide

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85 #2  
Hi there,

If 3rd gear works but 1st and second do not, it is NOT a clutch problem. If the clutch was at fault, 3rd gear would not work either. The issue is most likely the reverser, which only affects 1st and 2nd...either the reverser lever is simply between forward and reverse (which puts it in a "neutral" position), or there's something wrong with the reverser internally. The reverser also affects the direction of the PTO shaft (and the reverser gearing provides drive power to the PTO as well)...so if indeed the problem is the reverser, you shouldn't have PTO power either at this time. We have sold Grillo for 9 years, and we've never had a problem with a reverser...but there's always a first time. Good luck!
Joel, Earth Tools inc.

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85 #3  
Hi! You can first check the inverser lever . I joint a pict. Second.and not very expensive t Engine OFF You turn by hand crank You push the gearshift lever to neutral You crank tractor do not move. You crank again and you push lever to 3 you crank tractor by hands move ok you push to neutral crank again then push gearshift to 1 Do you feel enter in gear push again do you feel enter in 2. crank again if not move. May be Inside shift arm lever can be broken or bend. In last You can open or lift tranny top cover for check inside shift arm lever and gears. If shift lever broken Enough easy to replace and not very expensive If all is ok. Then the main shaft can be broken. Good Luck Oldmech

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85 #4  
HI! Sorry for the pict. Also you can check if PTO is running. I think you can repair for 100-200 or less. And you have good small tractor. Good luck Oldmech

Attachments

• invers.jpg
    invers.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 911
   / No first or second gear on Grillo G85
Hi, and thanks for the info both.

I've now had a chance to have another play with the machine, and it works! You were correct Joel, the reverser lever was in the central position. It's pretty loose though, and doesn't lock into either forward or reverse. In fact, in the forward position, if you rock the machine from side to side it floats back to the centre. My temporary fix is to use a rubber strap to hold it in the forward position, after which all works well including the PTO, (reverse works also).

Should the reverser lock solidly into forward or reverse like the gear selector? Any ideas what may be the problem? I've looked at the parts diagram and couldn't see anything immediately that looked like the problem. It's a slightly different arrangement than shown in your picture oldmech, my reverser is lever operated like the gear shift and PTO, rather than cable operated as in your photo. I tried a long shot and tightened the bolt in the centre of the L shaped lever, but obviously not the problem!

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85 #6  
HI,

Here are photos of what the G85 should look like...the pic from Oldmech was a G107, or a G85 equipped with the cable-style reverser (which may exist, but I have never seen one). I suspect that the spring shown in these photos may be missing on your machine...this spring puts tension on the shift lever and sort of "over-centers" to lock the lever into the forward or reverse position. The part number of this spring is 26187 and they cost around 2 or 3 US dollars.
IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg
Best regards, Joel -- Earth Tools

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85 #7  
This is the highest and best use of the internet.

/ No first or second gear on Grillo G85
Brilliant, thanks Joel.

Wasn't sure whether my machine had the hole and slot for the spring you show, but after taking a closer look I can see it does. I've even found the part in the diagram I have.

All I need now is to find a parts dealer that can get hold of it for me, shame you're in the US.

Many thanks for all your help. Once I finish removing the trees from our over-grown garden, I shall put the Grillo to work. I know where to come if I have any more problems though!