Old Ferguson Plow ID

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID #1  

vegaome

Silver Member
Tractor
1970 MF-135 and 1951 Ford 8N
Howdy Folks,

A friend gave me a two bottom plow. He said its a 14 inch two bottom. The model part of the tag is damaged. I can make out Ferguson, the serial number and AO-4 is all I can read on the model part.

Did ferguson make an AO-4 two bottom plow?

I will try to take some pictures later.

v/r

Mike

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID #3  
I have a Ferguson 2 bottom that looks like those in the pics. Bought it for 32.00 at an auction. Didn't need it, but I have it just in case while the price was right.

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID
Here are the pictures. I dont have a plow manual to look up parts. Just trying to figure out what model it is and hopeing someone out there has one.
v/r

Mike

IMG_1706.jpgIMG_1707.jpgIMG_1708.jpg

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID #5  
You can look up parts manuals online at AGCO Parts Books. You don't need an ID, just click on the View Books link next to "Guest User". I tried finding parts for an old plow a friend bought at auction, but most of the cast parts were no longer available, unfortunately.

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID
Howdy,

Thank you all for the replies.

Boone, there are a couple that are similar.

6011Artist, does your plow have a plate with the model number?

GreenWannabe, I looked through the manuals but could not find it.

All, have a happy Easter.

v/r

Mike

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID #7  
vega, after reading your post again and you asking for numbers I went out and looked at mine and got numbers. I googled and learned mine is a 12" plow. It is complete except the two coulter wheels and arms are missing. The rear furrow wheel is there. The numbers on mine read: Type 12-AO-28, No: 40567

I learned it was a match for a TO-20 Ferguson tractor....probably Fergusons match for the 9N Ford as far as tractors. I had doubts/questions as to was it the right plow for my TO-35 and conclude yes, it will work fine. The 35 has a little more power than the 20.

After looking at your plow and the parts breakdown I found online, I see yours is complete except for the "cross shaft", correct name for the part by the diagram. Also it showed "check chains" on the diagram but you'll probably get away with not having them. They may have even been eliminated on your model as I looked and saw no evidence of yours having them removed.

My question to anyone having experience with these plows. Are the coulter wheels a must? What are their purpose other than making a cut in the grass making turning the dirt precise and easy? Can I get away with not having them and what will be the result? Also, what is it worth missing the coulters? I'll probably never use it. Would like to know the value in case someone wants it more than I do.

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID #8  
Manuals Forum - Expanded Thread Page

vega, here is a link to the sight I got my info off of. It has manual pages downloaded and some good reading for a person not knowing a lot about them. Hope this helps.

It talked about how to adjust the cross shaft that you are missing. If you need me to measure the horizontal distance of the shaft in my clamps I'd be glad to do that for you. It says to never change that measurement but change the twisting degrees to get what you need.

Maybe this will be of help and feel free to ask me if I can help in any way.

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID
Howdy 6011Artist,

I do have the cross shaft, its in the bed of the truck. Its been welded but I think it will hold. The coulters are froze up and one is tore up some. I have a spare that may fit. Also one of the shares is bent some. I plan on taking them off and trying it out.

Thanks for looking and for the link.

v/r

Mike

/ Old Ferguson Plow ID #10  
It looks a lot like the MF-62 plow I have, which is a 12-2. I have a Ferguson plow manual that I found online which explains set-up pretty well. Aside from not having trip beams and spare parts being like hen's teeth, these are very good plows.

The coulters do a better job if your sod is thick and tough, makes for a much cleaner job.

DSC00554.jpgDSC00556.jpg

Here's a short video of it in action. The field hadn't been plowed in over 20 years, so the sod was pretty thick and difficult to turn cleanly. A little higher ground speed would have been good, and a slightly shallower cut would have helped too.

Chilly plowing garden - YouTube

Sean