MF 240 will not go into gear 2,3 or 4.

/ MF 240 will not go into gear 2,3 or 4. #1  

ConnemaraMan

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 240
So about 3 weeks ago now my MF 240 refused to go into Gears 2,3 and 4. I only have 1st and reverse which is a pain in the arse when trying to get somewhere as you can imagine!
There is absolutely no grind when I try to get into the lost gears, just feels like I'm hitting a wall!! Any idea's what this could be???
Thanks lads

/ MF 240 will not go into gear 2,3 or 4. #2  
I see three or more versions of the 240 listed in the parts books. The eight speed shifter fork configurations are not all the same, but share some common points. One being an interlock mechanism of balls and pins at the rear of the shift rails. This is designed to prevent any shift rail from being shifted out of neutral unless the others are in neutral. If you have a problem in this area, the only access is to split between the transmission and the rear main housing. At this point, will the shift lever move from side to side as far as it normally did while in neutral? If not, and the shifter seems to stuck where it will only engage the first/rev rail, try simply removing the stick and checking the position of the three gates the stick fits into. Shine a light into the shifter hole to see if the rails are lined up or not and possibly try to shift each individually with a pry bar to see what happens. If the rails are indeed lined up in neutral, and only the one will shift, you may have no choice but to go after the interlock.