Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel #1  

JosephFatherof6

Tractor
1973 ford 2000
Just bought a 1973 Ford 2000 diesel, I bought it at an auction and while there it ran for three hours before I won the bid.

I got it home and had no problem starting it, drove it around for a an hour to get used to driving it being that it’s my first tractor, then I parked it in the garage.

The next day I had a real hard time starting it and had to jump it with my pick up.

The third day battery lost all its cranking power and won’t take a jump. Granted the battery is marked Dec 2001 so I figured it’s old and should be replaced.

My main question is – I feel I’m starting it incorrectly. I have never owned a diesel and I’m used to gasoline engines.

Does this model have glow plugs? I know the key turns left and right to start it. Maybe someone could give me insight on the proper way to start this model.

I don’t want to replace the battery and come home and kill it again due to improper starting procedure.

Thanks. Joseph

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel #2  
Get yourself an owners manual from fleabay or somewhere. Put your mind at rest.
Jim

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel #3  
Get yourself an owners manual from fleabay or somewhere. Put your mind at rest.
Jim

If nothing else, hold the key left count to 20, then turn right to start.

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel #4  
Once it is started, there is no need for the battery, so you could jump it from your truck until you get a new battery.

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel #5  
01 battery? it's 12ys old.. my lord man.. replace the poor battery....

I know 4dlt are a tad spendy.. but sheesh...

as for thermal start aid.. you will need to look the manifold over for it.. if you don't see it.. you don't got it.

still using a genny? once you get the battery in.. turn key on.. make sure oil and amp lamps come on on dash.. start up. oil lamp should go off near immediatly. amp light should go off once you get to mid rpm... if not.. polarize the gen.. if that don't help.. shut down and motor test gen.. if it passes, pull the reg and clean the contacts.

post back

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel
Thanks for all the advice.
I changed the battery and she kicked right over.
We used the tractor all day yesterday and she worked like a charm.
Thanks again.

/ Having trouble starting my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel #7  
she charging?