Front wheel bolt keeps coming out

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #1  

whatsgnu

I've got a 2008 DK45se hst and the problem I'm having is the left front tire ( sitting on the seat looking forward ) has a bolt that keeps working itself loose and falling out. I've used the blue loctite and check it often but then all of a sudden after an hour or so of use it's out. Has anyone else had this problem ? It seems to be the same bolt and all the others are solid as a rock. I'm thinking of trying the red loctite but was just going to see if anyone has any other suggestions ? :confused3:

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #2  
Can you get it to the same torque as the others?

Likely the threads are deformed or wrong bolt. Run proper tap through it then loosen & retorque all the bolts in a cris-cross pattern to evenly tighten the wheel onto the hub.

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #3  
I too am willing to bet the threads are bad on either the hub or the bolt. It could have messed the first time it came loose, or may never have been right to start with.

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #4  
Could you perhaps use a longer bolt and add a nut on the far side to lock it in place?
Just make sure that a longer bolt + nut will clear everything, probably will.

If not use drilled headed bolts (or drill 2 bolt heads) and use safety wire to prevent movement.

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #5  
I have had the same problem with my 2013 DK45SE. Same front left wheel as well. All the bolts worked themselves loose and were lost, fortunately the 2 studs remained holding the wheel in place. I bought new bolts and replaced them using loctite and hope I don't lose these as well. I don't use my tractor that frequently, it only has 450 hours on it in 2 years and it's been plagued with a problem requiring 3 trips to the shop to replace a bad relay that keeps failing in the starter circuit. I finally bought a spare and keep it on hand but you'd think Kioti would look into the design and fix problems like this for free. I like the power and fuel efficiency but am not happy with the reliability - especially now that the warranty is expired. My last tractor was a Kubota and I wish I had stayed with that brand. It was a small 22 hp model that really wasn't big enough for many of the chores I have but it never failed me in 9 years and held its value well.:confused2:

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #6  
I've got a 2008 DK45se hst and the problem I'm having is the left front tire ( sitting on the seat looking forward ) has a bolt that keeps working itself loose and falling out. I've used the blue loctite and check it often but then all of a sudden after an hour or so of use it's out. Has anyone else had this problem ? It seems to be the same bolt and all the others are solid as a rock. I'm thinking of trying the red loctite but was just going to see if anyone has any other suggestions ? :confused3:

Can you get it to the same torque as the others?

Likely the threads are deformed or wrong bolt. Run proper tap through it then loosen & retorque all the bolts in a cris-cross pattern to evenly tighten the wheel onto the hub.

I too am willing to bet the threads are bad on either the hub or the bolt. It could have messed the first time it came loose, or may never have been right to start with.
Yes. IF the threads in the hub are still good enuf to take spec torque you can use the Loctite thread repair product. It will take up all the worn space that is allowing the "tight" bolt to wallow and loosen.
larry

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #7  
Yes. IF the threads in the hub are still good enuf to take spec torque you can use the Loctite thread repair product. It will take up all the worn space that is allowing the "tight" bolt to wallow and loosen.
larry

My secondary problem is the I'm really not sure what the proper torque spec is for my wheels. The owners brochure says the front wheels should be torqued to between 46-54 lbs (for the 2 studs) and 57-65 lbs for the 4 bolts. But other owners tell me that this torque is not correct and that their manuals say to torque their front to 144 lbs and the rear to 245 lbs. These numbers seem much more in line with reality considering the stress put on these wheels. I wish Kioti headquarters would step up and clear this up. I torqued my wheels to the lower number when I did the first service and within a month all the bolts on the front left wheel worked loose and fell out (why only that wheel??) Then I replaced them using blue loctite and they still worked themselves loose within a month of limited use and got lost. This time I'm going with the higher number. For the price the dealers charge for these bolts they should be able to handle the extra torque.

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #8  
I don't know that I would use the 144 and 245 numbers without verification/ I think the bolts on my FEL are around 200+ and they are really heavy duty bolts. That said, it sounds like the 50 and 60 numbers are way low. I would probably still use locktite for sure, but bump the numbers up to the very low hundreds until you find out for sure.

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #9  
My secondary problem is the I'm really not sure what the proper torque spec is for my wheels. The owners brochure says the front wheels should be torqued to between 46-54 lbs (for the 2 studs) and 57-65 lbs for the 4 bolts. But other owners tell me that this torque is not correct and that their manuals say to torque their front to 144 lbs and the rear to 245 lbs. These numbers seem much more in line with reality considering the stress put on these wheels. I wish Kioti headquarters would step up and clear this up. I torqued my wheels to the lower number when I did the first service and within a month all the bolts on the front left wheel worked loose and fell out (why only that wheel??) Then I replaced them using blue loctite and they still worked themselves loose within a month of limited use and got lost. This time I'm going with the higher number. For the price the dealers charge for these bolts they should be able to handle the extra torque.
We can make a safe guess if you could measure the dia of the studs or bolts. Im thinking it will be above 1/2" -- well above in back.

/ Front wheel bolt keeps coming out #10  

What is this owners' brochure where you got those numbers? Don't you have a real owner's manual; it should have come with the tractor. Every owner should have this data without needing to contact Kioti HQ; these are not secret data. Any dealer should have this information. Hopefully a real DKxxSE owner (with a real SE manual) will roger up on this but...

I have a DK45S and the owners' manual says 123-137 ft-lb for the fronts and 202-235 ft-lb for the rears. I believe the SE is similar to the EX and the EX manual says 166 ft-lb front and back. In any case 45-65 ft-lb is way too low, IMO, and you may have damaged the wheels and/or the threaded holes if the tractor was operated with lose bolts.