Trouble using my box blade - need advice!

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #1  

DougInSpokane

Good Morning! I recently bought a L38 Kubota (love it so far!) with an assortment of attachments. My problem is I have some dirt I want to move and I am having trouble. Last year I used my neighbor's Kioti with his box scraper to good effect. It would scrape up and the entire box would be filled. On my Landpride scraper, it will scrape up about 1/3 of a wheel barrow of dirt.

I have tried adjusting it both tipping down and tipping up, no love. It is the type of scraper that has 2 curves both front and backwards. I am wondering if the rear scraper is preventing it from really digging it - or if I am just not adjusting it correctly.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks and happy friday to all!

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #2  
I have box scrapers with and without the movable rear blade and while the one with the folding or moving rear blade will cut deeper quicker, the one with unmovable back blade works well also, just not as quickly. Shortening your top link should give you a better angle for digging in. How well it digs in however depends on weight and type of soil as well. Sometimes I have to lower the rippers to tear the ground up enough for the blade to dig in.

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #3  
It sounds like this may be a used implement from your comments - if so, maybe the cutting edge is worn down enough that it doesn't protrude below the sides of the scraper. I'm not familiar with the Land Pride, but my Gannon has a removable, REVERSIBLE cutting edge on both front and rear (floater) blades - if yours is the same, try measuring from the bolt centers to the upper (non-used) cutting edge and to the lower edge, and see if they are different. If the upper edge is still un-used, you can remove the bolts and reverse the cutting edge and it should give you more "bite".

You'll probably need to block the scraper SAFELY in the up position to get at this - also

Lots of cutting edges use "plow bolts" - these look like a flat head bolt without any way to turn them. What they REALLY are is a slightly different "carriage" bolt - they have a square shank just behind the beveled head, this fits into a square hole in the cutting edge, and you remove the nuts from the other end to take them out.

A little penetrant and an IMPACT GUN will be your friends here.

Also - almost NO normal tractors have power down on the 3 point hitch, so some extra weight of some sort hung on the back of the scraper may also help, as will using the rippers for a couple of passes before raising them and trying to fill the box again.

A few pix of your setup from front, side, above, etc, may help us help you... Steve

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #4  
There is a video on here which might help, as mentioned adding weight will, but it is preferable to buy one heavy enough without need for added weight.

Tractor and Skid Steer Attachment Videos

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #5  
You probably need weight. My BB would just skip along until I added weight to it. Link in sig.

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #6  
Agree...the heavier the better...
You might try a shorter top link...it sounds like your top link may not be letting you set the blade to cut more aggressively...?
Shortening the top link should tilt the box and the front cutting blade forward...this should take the rear facing blade out of play...

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #7  
Shorten top link and let the box blade float (stick 3 pt lever in lowest position and leave it there).

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #8  
Soil condition is an important factor in determining how much the BB will cut. Is the soil hardened or moist?

/ Trouble using my box blade - need advice! #9  
does your tractor have draft control? make sure the sensitivity is turned down (lever forward on my tractor). my 6ft box with added weight will just skip along with the draft control set all the way back. in the summer i have to drop the rippers to get any dirt moved.