John deere 410 backhoe shuttle shift probelm

/ John deere 410 backhoe shuttle shift probelm #1  

cfodor

Tractor
john deere 410 backhoe
I have a late 70s 410 back hoe. Just got it out for the first time this spring the first day it worked great. Went to move it today and it will go in reverse fine but take a while to go forward and does not want to pull in forward. I pulled the tranny filter off and it looks bad but I am afraid it it is something major. I am having a hard to believing the clutch went out over night in it. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas on what to check. I have checked the linkage for the shuttle shift lever and it is working fine.

/ John deere 410 backhoe shuttle shift probelm #2  
Did you just purchase this machine? When was the last time the transmission filter was changed? Were there metal particles in it?

/ John deere 410 backhoe shuttle shift probelm
We have had it about a year and I do not know the last time it was changed. I pulled the filter it looks dirty but no metal shavings. I am hoping it just needs changed. If i could get another year or two out of the machine I would be more then happy

/ John deere 410 backhoe shuttle shift probelm #4  
I have a Deere 500A and it has 2 trans filters and an internal sump screen. If any are dirty it will give it shift issues. Also when was the last time the oil was changed and does it look milky?

When I 1st got mine I had to change the oil and filters then about 10 hours later do it all over again. This because the oil had so much water in it that the oil left in the cooler, cylinders, etc. was enough to give me issues even with the new oil. The machine had been setting for 4-5 years before I bought it so it had a ton of water. Still going strong now 7-8 years later.