case ih farmall 55a

/ case ih farmall 55a #1  

Teaspoon

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
Hello I am new to the forum and I'm wondering if anybody has a farmall 55 A tractors in agriculture use. I need to know if these tractors are capable of picking up 6 foot rolls of hay. 1200 to 1500lb rolls. I am interested in four-wheel-drive loader tractors and abilities in this size. Please let me know any pros and cons of this tractor.

/ case ih farmall 55a #2  
I have the 2011 65A and it has handled big bales easily. I can't remember the weight deference between the 55A and 65A but am sure the 3 pt will handle them. I do remember the 55A does have a deferential fel and may be marginal for use with big bales.

/ case ih farmall 55a
Thank you for the input. How well do you like your 65a? I like these tractors. The only reason I'm considering the 55a is it is small enough to do garden work, easy to haul, & fuel efficient need to make sure that it will be able to move 1000 to 1500 lb rolls. How much would one of these tractors weigh with fluid inn the rears, loader,& rear weights?

/ case ih farmall 55a #4  
I am actually looking at the same tractor right now. I don't have the specs in front of me but if I remember right, that the load rating for the FEL was around 500 pounds more than the Kubota MX5100. Which would put over 2000lbs if I remember correctly that is. I was leaning towards the MX5100 but after finding a good deal on a 55a, I will go that route. I also am just wanting a tractor for feeding round bales and the occasional food plot work.

/ case ih farmall 55a
I definitely agree! The Kubota 7040 isn't much heavier in weight than the CIH 55a. I would say that the 5100x is quite a bit smaller than the 55a. What kind of deal are you getting on one?

/ case ih farmall 55a #6  
The salesman pointed out the 7040 to me since it is so much more tractor than the 5100. And realistically for the extra money it is a good deal. But, I have access to several 100 HP tractors and I just need something to keep at my house to feed the cattle I have on my place.

As far as a deal goes, it is a tractor just coming off lease from the local university. Only ~200 hours but I would get the same warranty and finacne options as a brand new for a substantial discount. I will go look at it tomorrow I hope and then I will give the salesman my demands. I am hoping to add a brush hog and a second remote. I don't want to jenx myself on any numbers right now, but if all goes well tomorrow, I may be there on Monday to sign the paperwork.

/ case ih farmall 55a
Boy, that sounds good! They tell me that of you find a tractor that has just came off lease then that's that the way to go. If you get to test drive one please keep me posted.

/ case ih farmall 55a #8  
Teaspoon

My rears are not filled and I carry only my 6 ft blade on the 3 pt usually, my guess is the 65 A weighs in at about 6000 lb. I've loaded 1500 lb plus bales two high on goose neck flat beds with no problem.

/ case ih farmall 55a #9  
Well, I went and drove the tractor today. It is a very nice machine. No loader on it but there is a L530 sitting in the shop waiting to be mounted. Hopefully Monday I can talk to the salesman and get a $ amount to start the negotiations with. To be honest though, I'm afraid I might say yes before I even give a counter offer. I know one of the best parts about buying a piece of equipment is the "getting a good deal" with haggling, but if it is anywhere close to where I think it's going to be, it will be a good deal.

According the to the brochure, the L530 is capable of 2k lbs at the pins and maximum lift hieght at the pins is 98.4 inches. Should be more than enough to handle the round bales we put up. The shipping weight on the 55 4WD is 4078 lbs. That would not include the loader or ballast of course.

/ case ih farmall 55a
Well, that's pretty good! If yours will do that then surely a 55a will do that loaded in the rears and wheels weights. What do you think? Another thing has me bothered....specs say these tractors are parent bore in the block, the same size in J D says they are wet sleeved in the block. If in the future does this mean the 55a will have to be bored & sleeved of it's to be over hauled?