what is the right size?

/ what is the right size? #1  

angryfafnir

Tractor
farmall
I am newly moved onto just over 20 acres and an old non-working Farmall came with this property. The property hasn't had much done with it in years, though there is still some fences standing (really just enough that there is a lot of clean up before starting over). The "yard" is sloped and not yet fenced properly to contain domestic pets/kids and exclude unwanted wildlife. I don't yet have an idea of what it would take to get the farmall up and running, or if it would be worth it frankly. I currently work full time, but plan on working the place into small hobby farm as I get time. Definitely will need to get at least a riding mower unless there is a good jack of all trades option. I know that I need to get some post holes dug, plow a half mile of driveway in the winter, and then...???

So the question is - what is the right size for running a hobby farm?

I started looking at the JD x700s and then thought maybe a little bigger, a friend showed my the mahindras, then I got a little bigger. By the end of the night I was looking at the 9 series and dreaming of mowing the entire place in one pass, Implements coming off all sides like some kind of transformer. That is when I realized I needed help! I haven't gone to test drive any yet just based on that fact.

/ what is the right size? #2  
There are going to be a lot of different opinions on "right size". We have a twenty acre hobby farm. I wanted something that would run a 5' rotary cutter, a loader, PHD, and a 72" RFM. I wanted a tractor just big enough to power this equipment. Nothing larger. For me 30 engine HP and 22 PTO HP has met my needs for the past 5 years.

/ what is the right size? #3  
In my opinion 45 to 50 HP 4x4 w/loader. You should have all of the power you ever need and sould never be lacking. The cost between 30HP and 50HP really isn't that much. A 6' brush mower, a 6' box blade, a 6' tiller, maybe a two bottom plow, a snowblower (front or rear) or even a snow plow, and a grapple would be really nice. You would need remote hydraulics front rear depending on what type of hydraulic equipment you end up with. Oh yea you also will need a chainsaw, a wood splitter (self contained or for tractor), and a firewood trailer. Most inportantly you will need a comfortable chair, a beer fridge, and a heated garage (with your firewood) for those long cold winter days! :thumbsup:

/ what is the right size? #4  
I would think that an LS G3038 would fit your needs or if you want more power a R 4041 or R4047 all of them with FEL. These are nice tractors with plenty of power yet not to unwieldy to work in small areas. The R 4047 with FEL is around $21,500 according to the LS forum posts from what others have paid. This will be considerable less than JD, Kubota, MF or other so called USA brands. They are made in Korea (same country as Kioti) have a 2 year bumper to bumper/5 year powertrain warranty compared to 1/2 years for most other brands.
If you haven't checked them out it would be well worth your time to look at all the other brands then go look at the LS tractors and you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality and ergonomics of them compared to the others.

/ what is the right size?
Thank you all for the feedback! I hadn't heard of LS. Checking them out right now and looking to see if there is a dealer close by.

Still looking and reading, and dropped in the kubota store today. Good times. Dealer went with a recommendation for the LS 4600 and just go get a lawn mower for the lawn part. Still a couple places to go visit, then schedule the test drives. Still have to take a good look at the old Farmall in the shop...if I have to get a lawn mower anyhow might just be able to make that old one go for a fraction of new. I was/am really hoping for that "do all" machine...

/ what is the right size? #6  
We have a 12 acre property with some woods and about 4 acres of open field, pretty steep hills, and a steep quarter-mile gravel driveway to grade and plow. I've used a 29 hp JD 870 for 15 years and it's been totally adequate. The only reason I can think of for going larger is if I wanted to run a mower wider than my 5' Bushhog rotary cutter.

If your property is steep do be sure to get something that allows the wheels to be set wide for stability.

Terry

/ what is the right size? #7  
HP wise 35-45 is a good average size and will do just about all you need. Trade the farmall in or craigslist it as is.
I just purchased a L4600 Kubota and its really nice size wise compared to HP. A L3800 or L4600 should fit you nicely.

Get it with a FEL and you will thank yourself in the long run.

If your land is just "gently sloped" and has no lowland you may be able to use a 2wd no problem and save some $.

Get the kubota dealer to bring a couple of them out for a test drive on your property. One 2wd and one 4x4 maybe.

/ what is the right size? #8  
angryfafnir,

I would not be hasty in getting rid of the Farmall just yet. What model is the Farmall? Even if you get a New/Newer tractor for other chores, you will find having second tractor very usefull at times and probably well worth restoring the Farmall to operating condition.

Having the Farmall tractor to pull the new tractor that is stuck will make any expense well worth it. Yes, they ALL get stuck sometime.

/ what is the right size? #9  
I just went through the same thing. As we have a hay field and want to add more hay acres 50hp was the magic number for hay equipment. Yes they did hay with an 8N but there is something to be said for progress.

/ what is the right size? #10  
There are three tractor sizes;
The one you HAVE,
The bigger one you WISH you had got for tasks your tractor is too small for,
The smaller one that would tear up the lawn less and get through where the one you have won't fit.

This is why many of us have as many tractors as we do - and counting...
Plus, it is often HANDY to have a tractor around for just working on another tractor, lifting wheels into place, tugging other tractors out of muck, etc.