Another newbee with 10 acres

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi,

Just bought 10 acres, mostly flat, cleared, no rocks. I am going to move our mobile home onto the property, do the landscaping etc. Will need to dig footings for out buildings, lay water, electrical and gas lines, cut the weeds and maybe put in a small garden. Paid cash for the property and right now my budget is pretty tight.

Can I buy a tractor for < $5000 with maybe a brushhog and as I can afford it add a front end loader and a backhoe. What should I be looking for? We have several dealers around but wasn't sure where to start.

Thanks,
Bob in Tulsa

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #2  
If it were me, I'd look for an older tractor and rotary cuttery in good shape. If you do a few improvements to it you can sell it for almost what you paid for it, if not more, when you're ready to upgrade to a unit with a loader and BH.

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #3  
WELCOME ABOARD! yes u can buy a used tractor with cutter for $5,000 but a tractor that is in that price range might not be able to take a BH. before u buy make sure it will accept a BH. and if one is available for it.

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #4  
If it was me I would think about renting a hoe for the work you need it for, and get a tractor with a loader that will do everything else you want.

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #5  
Personally, I'd hate to spend the money a loader and backhoe will likely cost you to add them to a $5,000 tractor. You could as much as triple your investment going that route. While I agree that tractor attachment resale values are strong, I don't think they're quite that strong.

I think if you're going to go with a loader you'll be ahead to buy a tractor with a loader already on it. If you need a backhoe, I think the same thing applies.

If you don't need these two attachments right away but are desperate for a tractor and a rotary cutter, buy something like the one you mentioned and, when you can afford it, upgrade to one with the loader and backhoe, keep your rotary cutter and either sell or trade your tractor. I think you'll be a lot of money ahead going that route.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #6  
Around here there are plenty of gray market tractors in your price range, They are almost invariably equiped with a tiller, which while great for a garden, don't get your grass cut. From time to time an older Ford or Massey comes available from an estate sale. You might want to start looking for them in your area.

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #7  
I think the first step for you will be to just start hitting the dealers to see whats available in your area. The first thing I think is you will be able to find a tractor for that price. No fel or implements. I would look at for older fords nd masseys. In my area those are in short supply but if you look they are there. The good ones go pretty quick. I would personally stay away from the grays due to parts difficulty and maintenance for a newbie. I am not opposed to them but they are probably a better buy for someone with more experience.

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #8  
Some grays come with a tiller, but a 4ft bush hog is easy to put on one. I have a Yanmar 1700, cut about 5 to 6 acres all the time. And for parts they are easy to get, not a problem at all. Look down at the Yanmar forum, and see what they say about them.

/ Another newbee with 10 acres
Thanks for the info guys, this is a great site and one I will start visiting on a regular basis.

On a side note: I found a used tractor search site, (didn't book mark it so not sure which one). Anyway I did a search for tractors in Oklahoma and it only returned a couple, then did the same search for Missouri and the darn thing returned over 10 pages. Not sure if this means anything other than must be more farmers in MO. than OK.

Thanks again
Bob in Tulsa

/ Another newbee with 10 acres #10  
<font color="blue"> Not sure if this means anything other than must be more farmers in MO. than OK.
</font>

It means that you have run into the same thing I did when I bought my place (also 10 acres). Tractors hold value like you wouldn't believe. People that buy them generally keep them until they die, which takes a long time mostly. I looked for used for quite a while, as money was a big deal. I wound up buying new because I could afford the financing better than I could afford to lay out the cash for a good used machine.

The one thing I did that I would have done differently is I bought a bit too small. If I'd been on this forum (or read Mahummad's book) I would probably have gone a bit bigger, but overall I'm very happy with my tractor.

On a final note, I don't know how I could have managed without it. My place would look like my neighbor's place - he's the only guy around here without a tractor and it shows /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

But the good news is that if you can find a used tractor in good shape that these things are built to last. Good luck on your quest and keep us posted...Chris