hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals?

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #1  

VTturkey

Tractor
White Field Boss 31 4x4
So, I was doing some corrner lifting with the little field boss when a few things happened at once; a head off a bolt popped off (somewhere off the loader frame), hydraulic oil spurted everywhere for about a second, and then my crankcase was over running out the fill pipe with hydraulic oil. Still not sure about the oil burp, though there is now a slight leak from looks like a power steering line up front which remains wet, but overall it doesnt leak anymore. I had a mechanic come over and he said though he wasn't familiar with these tractors, he suspected that I compromised the pump seal or the pump itself. The tractor runs fine, I disked and ripped an acre at full tilt a day after, just drained the engine oil so it was half empty, by the time I was done it was full again (made sure to not let it overflow), and the hydraulics all work fine when there is enough fluid. Also, hydraulic oil sort of poops out the bellhousing moisture drain after i shut it off but not when its running. So here's my theory; i over powered the system by excessive corner lifting, sheared a bolt which may have jostled/compromied a power steering line and also broke a seal? This tractor only has 700 hours on it, the mechanic told me since the hydraulics are ok the pump is probably fine, i do have seals on the way. Any input, comments, suggestions?? Also, if anyone knows where to get a new pump for less than 400 bucks that would be very helpful though I am going to start with just the seals first.

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #2  
You shouldn't need a pump just yet. The seal is the 1st thing and then go from there.

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #3  
does that system use quick disconencts on any of the line sinvolved/ if so.. i fhte qd is betweent he pump and relief, and the loader broke, momentarilly dislodged a ps line at a qd.. thent he pump deadheaded.. then the shaft seal blew out.

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #4  
What is corner lifting? Cor of a building? Using the hydraulics to relief over and over?
Curious. Jim

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals?
You shouldn't need a pump just yet. The seal is the 1st thing and then go from there.

Ive never replaced seals before on these things...any tips or special tools or things to look for? Seems like it should be straight forward...
No quick connect the hoses are fixed. Its still a little of a mystery as to what happened exactly but I think im close.

Jim corner lifting just means putting a lot of weight/lifting with only the corner of a loader..I am building a level road along a steep bank so that should give you an idea. It puts a lot of stress and torsion on everything, hence my snapped bolt which I still have not located.

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #6  
IT is straight forward. You must of got a big spick of hyd pressure to pop the seal. My guess would be that as you were working the back of the tractor came up on you and you dropped it back down, then stopped the tractor with the hyd. before it hit the ground.

IT is straight forward. You must of got a big spick of hyd pressure to pop the seal. My guess would be that as you were working the back of the tractor came up on you and you dropped it back down, then stopped the tractor with the hyd. before it hit the ground.

So ive taken the pump apart...none of the seals "look" bad, but i did see some hydraulic oil in the bearing that is after the main, hard drive seal (the kind with the spring inside) so i replaced that, and will probable replace all that i have since I have it apart. Do you think the force comprimised the spring mechanism in the seal so it was leaking through that? I added about a quart of hydrauli fluid in 2 hours to the crank case while it was blown. It seems the only place that hydraulic could get sucked into the engine...it just didnt look bad, but there was oil right on the other side of it where it was supposed to be "sealing " from. I guess ill put it all back together and see what happens.

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #8  
Make sure seal lip is on pressure side.

Make sure seal lip is on pressure side.

Started it up used a 2 bottom plow for 2.5 hours which didnt seem to stress the rig at all no more leaking hyd. oil into crank case, the hyd stayed the same level but after the 2.5 hours I saw and smelled smoke around the pump and the hydraulics barely worked...I shut it off and left itat the field to cool off but is a quarter mile from my garage. Also it still drains a little either hyd oil or engine oil out the bell housing moisture drain every time I shut it off. I think its hyd. Is my pump bad???

/ hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals? #10  
The oil coming out the plug of the bell housing could be engine or hyd oil. Did engine over fill with oil again? Do you think the pump got dry of oil? Check the input hose to the pump and make sure it doesn't have a pin hole or crack, clean screen, and new OEM filter. You could of blew the pump if it was sucking air for 2.5 hrs. You could of blew the rear seal from the oil getting over filled as much as it did. I would also take the pump back apart and check it, then go after the oil coming out of the bell housing drain. It sounds like you are going to have to split the tractor, 1st things 1st.