MF 40 Industrial (TPH not coming up)

/ MF 40 Industrial (TPH not coming up) #1  

Rooftop Special

Tractor
Massey Ferguson
Gentlmen,

I recently purchased a Massey Ferguson Industrial 40 from a friend that didn't know anything about tractors, much like me :D

My issue is the TPH hitch will not come up. He said he added hydraulic oil to the system and that is when it stopped working. My issue with that is the front bucket works fine (goes all the way up, dumps, etc) leading me to believe it might not be fluid related. I've never operated a tractor so it might be user error. I'm assuming the TPH should go up/down with position lever under your right hand?

I'm certain it has got to be something simple. If it's not user error where should I start? I'm pretty sure the hydraulic system could use a cleaning with filter change. I've read of people draining the fluid, filling with diesel, doing slight operation with the diesel in the system to clean it out, then draining and refilling with hydraulic oil. Is this advisable?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've attached some pictures.

Thanks,

Casey

IMG_20130414_092626_632.jpgIMG_20130414_092159_433.jpgIMG_20130414_092218_943.jpgIMG_20130414_092442_967.jpgIMG_20130414_092454_562.jpg

/ MF 40 Industrial (TPH not coming up) #2  
Gentlmen,

I recently purchased a Massey Ferguson Industrial 40 from a friend that didn't know anything about tractors, much like me :D

My issue is the TPH hitch will not come up. He said he added hydraulic oil to the system and that is when it stopped working. My issue with that is the front bucket works fine (goes all the way up, dumps, etc) leading me to believe it might not be fluid related. I've never operated a tractor so it might be user error. I'm assuming the TPH should go up/down with position lever under your right hand?

I'm certain it has got to be something simple. If it's not user error where should I start? I'm pretty sure the hydraulic system could use a cleaning with filter change. I've read of people draining the fluid, filling with diesel, doing slight operation with the diesel in the system to clean it out, then draining and refilling with hydraulic oil. Is this advisable?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've attached some pictures.

Thanks,

Casey

View attachment 314102View attachment 314098View attachment 314099View attachment 314100View attachment 314101

What type of transmission does it have? Does it have a six speed with a clutch and manual shuttle or does it have a six speed with two foot pedals, one forward and one reverse also known as an instant reverse. It looks like you have a front mounted hydraulic pump that runs the FEL. If the tractor has the foot pedals forward and reverse you may need to have the gear shift lever in neutral and step on the forward pedal to get power to the tractor hydraulic pump mounted in the transmission case that should operate the TPH when the tractor is not moving. Then you should be able to move both the draft and position lever to the top and the TPH should lift. I looked at an industrial model before purchasing my 135 and we found that we needed to do the same thing to operate the PTO. Many industrials, I hear did not have a rear PTO. This is purely speculation but you have not received any other responses solving the problem. I see from your pictures that someone added chains to the three point to hold it up without using the hydraulics. Hope this helps.

after looking at your pictures again I'm not sure what the chains on the TPH do. It looks like the right lift link has been changed to a chain and the left chain possibly is holding the three point up. Its hard to tell without more pictures.

Last edited:
   / MF 40 Industrial (TPH not coming up)
Thanks for the reply. It has the two pedal forward and reverse. I had to jack up gannon with a floor jack and "cinch" the chains to hold it up for transport.

It has two shifters. One seems to be a high/low and the other feels like it has four positions. On the high/low shifter it feels like neutral in between. Next time I'm with the tractor I'll try putting it in neutral, pressing the forward control then try to operate the TPH.

I'll post some more pics later.

Thanks again,

/ MF 40 Industrial (TPH not coming up) #4  
Thanks for the reply. It has the two pedal forward and reverse. I had to jack up gannon with a floor jack and "cinch" the chains to hold it up for transport.

It has two shifters. One seems to be a high/low and the other feels like it has four positions. On the high/low shifter it feels like neutral in between. Next time I'm with the tractor I'll try putting it in neutral, pressing the forward control then try to operate the TPH.

I'll post some more pics later.

Thanks again,

I wasn't sure what the gear shift lever configuration was. Do you also have a center pedal position that will speed up the engine, but will not move the tractor? It seems that I ran across some Masseys that were set up like that when I worked for a Massey dealer. That would allow you to run the bucket into a pile of gravel and speed the engine up to run the FEL faster. If yours has that it may do the same as shifting the transmission into neutral and pressing the forward pedal. It may send power to the rear pump. Again this is only a guess, I have very little experience with industrial models. It looks like someone has modified the hookup of the box blade to the three point arms. I will try to get some pictures of mine and send you so you can see the difference.