hydraulic joystick controller ports

/ hydraulic joystick controller ports #1  

nsmithnd

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1700
Question on the In/Out ports of the joystick controller that I'll be installing on the Ford 1700.
The controller came with factory installed plugs on the face of the controller for In/Out.
Obviously either of the In ports can be used, but what about the Out ports?
I'm going to use the power beyond in a future auxiliary ports project, so for now will set the adapter aside (and hope I don't lose it).
The diagram has the Outlet and Power Beyond ports clearly labeled, which I am assuming is the required configuration when power beyond is used.
So can either port be used as the return if the power beyond adapter is not installed?

joystick-controller.JPGIMG_4591.jpg

/ hydraulic joystick controller ports #2  
Yes, that is correct. Recommend plugging the PB port.

Is this the last valve before tank?

When you do install the PB adapter, you separate the two chambers, and all the cyl expended fluid flows through the OUT port, and the pump flow flows through the PB port.

/ hydraulic joystick controller ports
Thanks JJ...

I swapped the old dual spool (which was working when disconnected) with the joystick today. Plugged the PB port and got everything hooked up (using the Out port for the return). Checked and double-checked to make sure all the lines were hooked up right, but the thing is acting strange. There is no normal boom boom/bucket - raise/lower dump/curl functionality. If I barely engage any of them, it acts like it wants to work, then if I engage it further, it acts like it wants to go in the opposite direction. The strangest part of it is, if in float position and I hit the curl or dump, the boom raises. The only way to lower the boom again is to go back to the float position.

Like I said, I've checked and re-checked everything and seems to be hooked up right. I can feel the float and regen positions and they match the factory diagram, so I know it is configured as it should be.

I happened to have one of the bucket cylinders off to put a seal kit in it, and quick-disconnects were used to plug the lines. So I plugged a gauge in to see what kind of readings I was getting on each side of the remaining bucket cylinder. It read 2000 and 1500 depending on whether it was curled or dumped, and plugging the gauge into the other side of the cylinder resulted in opposite readings of 1500 and 2000.

Is this a symptom of the tractor's relief valve being set lower than the joystick's relief valve (joystick specs say it is set at 2000 from the factory)? Or air in the lines? I haven't checked the relief pressure of the tractor yet (that will be the next thing I check). The tractors service manual says the relief pressure should be 2065-2205.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
-Neil

/ hydraulic joystick controller ports #4  
Are 100% positive you don't have some boom & bucket hoses cris-crossed?

/ hydraulic joystick controller ports #5  
I am thinking back pressure from somewhere.

Since you are feeding fluid to another valve, I would use the PB adapter and feed the 3pt from the FEL PB port. OUT port hose will go to tank.

The 3pt relief pressure was set at the factory, so set the FEL relief the same as the 3pt.

The 3pt lever should be in neutral or strange problems will develop in the FEL valve.

Install the hyd gage in a tee in the IN port of the FEL valve and use it to monitor and troubleshoot the hyd system.

You will see the hyd pressure anytime the hyd is doing work.

With all levers in neutral, the pressure should be very low, and if doing med work, you might see 1300 psi, and if doing the rated capacity of the hyd system, you might see 2500 psi.

Last edited:
   / hydraulic joystick controller ports
You were correct JJ... Back pressure from the pressure side of the tractor !! Swapped the In and Out hoses today and all is well !!

I had replaced the supply hoses a few years back and labeled the tractor side ports to make sure I installed the new hoses correctly. When I installed the joystick controller I moved one hose at a time to ensure I didn't mix them up.

Is it possible that the old dual controller (no power beyond) would work plumbed backwards? Or am I losing it?

Thanks
-Neil