Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #1  

TexasDad76

Tractor
Husqvarna 2754GLS and GT52XLS
I was distracted when I turned off my mower (Husqvarna 2754GLS) today. I had the mower engaged (was actively mowing) and I switched off the power using the ignition key. In other words, I forgot to disengage the mower blades before I shut off the mower.

Now the engine won't turn over at all. Not even when it's hooked up to my car's battery.
I checked the battery with a volt meter (an older one), and it registers 11 or 12 volts -- maybe that's low, but it should be doing *something*, at least a clicking noise. Especially when it's receiving active power from a running PT Cruiser!

Anyhow, my best guess is that the clutch (mower blade) is stuck in the "engaged" position -- but how do I disengage it? I don't fully understand the nature of the switch. It's not a button that just sends a signal, but it's also not a simple switch like the choke or the headlight switch, which can obviously be set when the mower is on or off. I think the "clutch engage" is something in-between.

Anyhow, how do I get my mower to run again? How do I make sure the mower blade engage/clutch is fully disengaged?

Thanks,

Matthew

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #2  
That is an odd one. First thing is to make sure the seat switch is engaged. Then the direction lever FWD/REV or however it shifts is in neutral by cycling it if you can. You might even disconnect the battery entirely for a moment to see if that resets the solenoid. Not knowing much about those machines I am just shooting in the dark though. Good luck.

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start
That is an odd one. First thing is to make sure the seat switch is engaged. Then the direction lever FWD/REV or however it shifts is in neutral by cycling it if you can. You might even disconnect the battery entirely for a moment to see if that resets the solenoid. Not knowing much about those machines I am just shooting in the dark though. Good luck.

Ok -- I looked into it further today.

I cycled the transmission as you describe.

I checked the fuse. I cleaned it (and air dusted the fuse holder) and tested the fuse on my multimeter -- it reads 0 Ohms (=0 resistance =good).

I also checked the battery with my digital multimeter -- it reads 12.57 volts. So the battery looks at least OK. At any rate, there is no reason the battery would up and die with no warning, unless the thing exploded or something (which didn't happen!)

I disconnected the battery for a good 20-25 minutes, to make sure the mower drive solenoid could reset itself.

I reattached the battery, and tried to start it. Still same result! Not even the slightest response when I put the key into the "start" position -- it's almost TOO quiet.

I'm as confused as ever.

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #4  
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/HUSO2008_USen/HUSO2008_USen_O0802078_.pdf
Page 29 has the electrical schematic. I only see one fuse in there. Then you have the PTO switch and clutch pedal that are part of the circuit. You battery sounds up to snuff. What you might look for next even though it makes no sense is poor connections at the battery terminal ground to chasis. Also with the key off if you can spin the engine manually. The starter may have stuck into the flywheel. If you can thump on the starter a little not too hard that might unjam it if that is the problem. Another thing if you can get to the connector on the wire harness unplug it and plug it back in.

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #5  
Maybe a bad starter/ignition switch or a bad PTO switch?

- Spindifferent

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #6  
Ok -- I looked into it further today.

I cycled the transmission as you describe.

I checked the fuse. I cleaned it (and air dusted the fuse holder) and tested the fuse on my multimeter -- it reads 0 Ohms (=0 resistance =good).

I also checked the battery with my digital multimeter -- it reads 12.57 volts. So the battery looks at least OK. At any rate, there is no reason the battery would up and die with no warning, unless the thing exploded or something (which didn't happen!)

I disconnected the battery for a good 20-25 minutes, to make sure the mower drive solenoid could reset itself.

I reattached the battery, and tried to start it. Still same result! Not even the slightest response when I put the key into the "start" position -- it's almost TOO quiet.

I'm as confused as ever.

Have you tried cycling the mower on and off, there is a relay or solenoid that needs to be reset. Also, try engaging the mower, turn the key then disengaging the mower.

The problem is, the mower won't start at all! I turn the key, and absolutely nothing happens, just the same as if there were no battery present.
But the battery reads 12.57 V.

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #8  
The problem is, the mower won't start at all! I turn the key, and absolutely nothing happens, just the same as if there were no battery present.
But the battery reads 12.57 V.

I get that, what I'm saying is, engage the mower, turn the key and disengage the mower while the key is turned.

I tried this -- it did make a click each time. But the mower still won't start.

/ Husq turned off while mowing - now it won't start #10  
One off-the-wall suggestion...

Check the parking brake. I've had my parking brake switch shut down my mower like you describe. It "seemed" to be okay, but it was not. After hitting the brake a couple of times, the switch cleared and all was good in the world.