Water in my Fuel??

/ Water in my Fuel?? #1  

bobframe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST, Kubota RTV
My neighbor borrowed my Kubota L3010. When he returned the tractor he also brought me one of my 5 gallon fuel cans that he'd filled with diesel. The can has a screw on air vent (which was closed) and an open pouring spout which I normally leave plugged up with a rolled up paper towel- just to keep debris from contaminating the fuel while it sits in my barn. The pouring spout is 6" long and about 1/2" in diameter...the rolled up paper towel is jammed into the end of the spout.

Unfortunately, he returned the can of fuel while it was raining and it sat in his open pickup bed for at least 30 minutes...probably longer. The can was wet and the paper towel stuffed in the spout was soaked with water. I unscrewed the spout and inspected the inside of the spout...it appeared to be wet- my guess is that the moisture was water. Not exactly dripping water, but it was wet.

So, here's the question: I don't know how much, if any, water contaminated the 5 gallons of diesel fuel...probably not a lot, but who knows? Should I dump the fuel, or assume that there's so little water in the fuel that it won't matter. How susceptible is a diesel engine to a bit of water on the fuel?

Thanks,

Bob

/ Water in my Fuel?? #2  
Fuel floats on top of water. Pour off most of the fuel into another container, and then pour what's in the bottom of the container into a clear container to see how much water is in it and discard just the water. Water that hasn't been in there long is not much of an issue as it doesn't mix with the fuel.

I got enough water into my tractor's tank one time to completely flood my Raycor filter's water catchment, and so, filled everything all the way to the injectors with water. That was a bummer. All that water got into my storage tank through a tiny vent over an extended period of time. I have fixed that problem. But because of having had that experience, I never pour any fuel can all the way out when filling any machine's fuel tank. Then I look into the can to see if there is water under the remaining fuel.

/ Water in my Fuel?? #3  
After you do what Short Game said put some Power Service in your fuel. That will displace any other water/moisture and clean your injectors.

/ Water in my Fuel?? #4  
A number of members over the years have recommended Mr. Funnel to remove water and trash. Their website is here: Home. They are available on Amazon.

/ Water in my Fuel??
Fuel floats on top of water. Pour off most of the fuel into another container, and then pour what's in the bottom of the container into a clear container to see how much water is in it and discard just the water. Water that hasn't been in there long is not much of an issue as it doesn't mix with the fuel.

I got enough water into my tractor's tank one time to completely flood my Raycor filter's water catchment, and so, filled everything all the way to the injectors with water. That was a bummer. All that water got into my storage tank through a tiny vent over an extended period of time. I have fixed that problem. But because of having had that experience, I never pour any fuel can all the way out when filling any machine's fuel tank. Then I look into the can to see if there is water under the remaining fuel.

Good stuff. Thanx.