Plow sizing

/ Plow sizing #1  

Bfitzgerald3

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Mx5100
I have a kubota mx5100 and need a plow. Based solely on HP, ive been told i should stick to a 2-bottom plow. The soil here is very sandy and has been turned fairl recently. Do you think a 14" 3-bottom will be okay? Preferred brand/model?

Thanks!

/ Plow sizing #2  
3-14" should be no problem for you especially in sandy soil.

/ Plow sizing #3  
I would look for a 3-14" or a 2-16" or 18". Both take about the same HP to pull and cover the same tract. The old oliver plows are good. If you can find one a Kleverland plow is one of the best you can get in my opinion.

/ Plow sizing #4  
What do you have for weight? Are your tire loaded? I just got my 16" plow and found my M4700 couldn't pull it thru clayey soil. I'm sure I've the HP, just not the traction.

/ Plow sizing #5  
Hey Bfitz I'm just south of you in the TC area and very familiar with the soil we have up in N. Mi. I would definitely recommend going with a 3-14 if the kubota is 4wd. I run a single 16" off my L2500 kubota and have had the biggest buyers remorse from picking that thing up. The tractor and soil type we have would have easily allowed me to run a double 14". Even with a triple ends up being too much which I seriously doubt taking one plow off them is usually not all that difficult. Don't end up making the same mistake I did and going too small. Adding one plow makes a world of difference in how long it will take to get the field turned.

/ Plow sizing #6  
Bfitzgerald,

Used 3-14 plows may actually be cheaper to puchase than a 2 bottom plow. Look for John Deere, International Harvester and Ford plows to start with. Any of the full line manufaturers had very good plows, but parts may be easier to find for the big three plows.

/ Plow sizing #7  
ITs all about traction. What TYPE of tire do you have?

/ Plow sizing
Sorry all, for my omission. 4wd Kubota MX5100 with loaded ag tires.

I'm increasingly convinced a 3-14 will work. Definitely shooting for used if I can find one.

/ Plow sizing #9  
We pulled a Oliver 4340 three bottom plow (like this one but with worse paint) behind our L3830 (4x4, loaded R1s, no loader). Worked well, but was right at the edge of spinning the tires.

Aaron Z

/ Plow sizing #10  
My MX5100 has all it can handle with a 2-14 Dearborn but my soil is mostly red clay. The important thing to remember plowing is it takes a certain amount of forward speed to actually turn the soil. Make sure if you get a 3 bottom plow that you can get the soil turned. If you are plowing much land, you will not gain much with a 3 bottom over a 2 bottom if your speed is reduced.

I prefer to be able to keep good speed while rolling the soil sufficiently. In our soil the general rule is 20-25 hp per bottom. In sandy soil your mileage will vary.