New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use?

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #1  

jeffinsgf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410
Cleaning the shop today and found several sealed bottles of Stihl 2-cycle oil in a bottle size that was wrong for the gas can I was using, so they went to the back of the shelf and forgotten for 6 or 7 years. Similar story on several sealed bottles of 30 wt oil I bought for my various 4-cycle engines.

Do engine oils go "bad"? Can I use these or should I take them to the waste disposal place?

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #2  
That oil is as good as it ever was .Just like toilet paper .

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #3  
That oil is as good as it ever was .Just like toilet paper .

As I finished reading the OP's post I was prepared to say "the oil is as good as it ever was",,,,, but I was not prepared to compare it to toilet paper!!! Good One Kevin!!!! Is it alright if I use that analogy in the future??? :thumbsup:

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #4  
The stuff is in the ground for x million years and is still good so in a sealed container for a handful of years won't hurt. Use it and count it as a windfall.

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #5  
Some people do say that the additives will drop out, Personally I would use it, but do shake the container upside down for a while to remix it.
Just a thought!

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #6  
i for sure have 2 cycle oil that old I still use.

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #7  
If in sealed containers I for certain would use it. If you prefer not to, you could use it for bar oil in a chain saw.

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use?
Thanks, you guys. I was inclined toward using it, but wanted to check with the "conventional wisdom".

/ New/Old Oil -- Pitch or Use? #10  
I assume the Stihl saw is old too where warranty doesn't come into play? Stihl has a warranty thing with new saws that requires using Stihl Ultra 2-cycle oil. I was told they will test for it if the saw goes for warranty work.