Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #1  

gweishaar

The Yanmar 1500D is back together with a new clutch. After several trials of air bleeding it started up. Now another problem, the diesel engine runs at full speed. I have tried moving the throttle. Throttle forward is supposed to be slower - back is faster but there is little speed change if any where ever the throttle is set. When started the tach ramps up quickly and reads over 3000 rpm. Thankfully I read some of the posts the other night and recalled that the only way way to stop a diesel is to cut off the fuel. I closed the fuel shut off valve and the engine shut down. I started it again and still the engine ran up to full speed again. I tried to control the speed by the closing and opening the fuel shut off valve but it either ran full speed or died as I tried to maintain a set speed.
Even though the linkage is not binding, I removed the throttle linkage at the connection on the arm where the shaft goes into the engine. Still the same when operating the arm without the throttle linkage or lever. When operating the arm by hand without the linkage there seems to be resistance by a spring (concealed). Maybe something is frozen inside.

I am afraid to run this thing at such a high rpm. I don't want to have it fly apart. I am wondering if I will ever get some use out of it. Any ideas?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318421&d=1369018069&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• DSC_0292.jpg
    DSC_0292.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 713
  • DSC_0289.jpg
    DSC_0289.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 1,241
   / Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #2  
sounds like a stuck governor rack in the injector pump.

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #3  
I agree with Neat 1500. Try tapping on the injector pump. Might possibly free it up. If that doesn't work you may have to pull it. You can see the rack #17 in this drawing. Yanmar Tractor Parts: INJECTION_PUMP

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed
Thanks Neat 1500 and Winston. I already tapped (somewhat lightly with a rubber hammer so as not to break anything) but will try again. The tractor is at my lake hose about 100 miles away. Is the thought that the pump is stuck or the governor? If I pull the injector pump will the governor be attached? Can I get access to the governor if I pull the injector pump? Pulling the injector pump looks straight forward - any tips? Will everything in the governor come out??? The parts cut on the governor looks complicated. Thanks.

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #5  
There is a spring or something i here these guys talk about when pulling it that you ahve to disconnet, dont just yank it out. Also not the shims behind it or whereever they are to keep it in time.

I am no expert just read stuff on here half paying attention. I think it too is a stick govener or something in that pump and nothing else.

Did this thing run prior to the dissasembly? Was it running right then?

There is a spring or something i here these guys talk about when pulling it that you ahve to disconnet, dont just yank it out. Also not the shims behind it or whereever they are to keep it in time.

I am no expert just read stuff on here half paying attention. I think it too is a stick govener or something in that pump and nothing else.

Did this thing run prior to the dissasembly? Was it running right then?

The engine ran well before I split the tractor (about 1 year ago) to replacewhat I found out was the wrong throw out bearing (or what was left of it) that a previous owner had installed without the steel bearing carrier. This created lots of squeeling, smoke and no way to take the tractor out of gear (that was an interesting ride).

I have installed a new clutch as well. I suspect that something is just stuck inside the tractor from sitting that long.

As I said I can operate the throttle mechanisn but it seems to just put tension on a spring that is concealed inside and supposed to pull on something else. No change of speed. The diagram I have on the govener shows lots of parts and is not clear on how to access or disassemble. If I try this I will pull the injector pump first, be very careful and take lots of photos and not wait a year to put it back together.

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #7  
If it ran fine b-4 you started working on it ,but it sat apart for a year and not run.IT would be my opinion that something in there just stuck form non use.

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #8  
I have never done this, only stating what I believe to be correct. Note reference #16 in this parts drawing. I believe if you will remove that you will have access to the linkage. I know that Aaron with Hoye says to be gentle with that linkage so as not to damage the governor. I don't really think is is complicated although I have not personally done it. Yanmar Tractor Parts: BLOCK

I have never done this, only stating what I believe to be correct. Note reference #16 in this parts drawing. I believe if you will remove that you will have access to the linkage. I know that Aaron with Hoye says to be gentle with that linkage so as not to damage the governor. I don't really think is is complicated although I have not personally done it. Yanmar Tractor Parts: BLOCK

Thanks Winston. I thinkyou have been helpful to me before. Thanks again!

/ Yanmar 1500D Engine Runs Full Speed #10  
On my tractor which also sat for a while...the linkage for govenor behind fuel pump did not move due to a roller spring stuck from old fuel...need to use penatrating oil to release parts but dont pull apart otherwise you will have to recaliberate pump.