Rear windshield replacement

/ Rear windshield replacement #1  

albert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Toolcat D
Anybody have any advice regarding replacement of rear windshield in a 5600. Shattered mine, ordered parts, and plan to replace it myself.

/ Rear windshield replacement #2  
   / Rear windshield replacement #3  
Use a piece of thin stiff wire like piano wire or windshield removal wire to get old glass off. Remove any excess adhesive but down to bear cab frame, leave residue of old adhesive. This will act as primer for the new. If there is any bear (unpainted metal), prime and repaint those areas. If the window has a painted edge, painted side goes towards the cab. Clean window with good class cleaner and apply primer to the window and areas on cab without adhesive residue. Let primer dry, about 5 minutes. Apply 1/4" bead of adhesive around cab frame. Install the window pushing in to compress the adhesive, then tape it in place. Let set a minimum of 2 hours, more depending on temperature and humidity.

/ Rear windshield replacement
Good info. Thanks.

/ Rear windshield replacement
Got the rear windshield installed. Went well. Pleased with the result. Learned a few things along the way. If you are planning to do an install and want some tips, leave me a note on this post with your phone number and we can talk.

/ Rear windshield replacement #6  
This might be your next project:
5600.jpg
Or you can order it from Bobcat.

/ Rear windshield replacement #7  
I recently sold my 2004 Toolcat to a friend and a few days later he called to tell me the rear window had fallen off! Fortunately, it did not break as it just dropped down onto the rubber seal where the front end of the rear bed meets the back of the cab. There is a homemade window protector made from hog fencing mounted on the bed so the window couldn't fall into the bed.

Apparently the metal under the paint at the top and sides of window seal had rusted and the weight of the window pulled the seal and paint off.

My friend had the window reinstalled by a local auto glass company, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It would be wise for owners of older Toolcats to check the paint for telltale bubbles that indicate water has penetrated the area and hidden rust may be weakening the window seal.