3 point hitch set up?

/ 3 point hitch set up? #1  

superbrat

Tractor
massey ferguson 3165
I am new to the site and need some help on 3 point hitch set up.

I have a MF 3165 and I do not have any parts for the 3point hitch except the pins on the botton of the axile and the hydraulic arms the is part of the tractor so I need to set the hitch up. I do not know what I need and the sizes I need. I do not think the 3 point hitch on has never been used since it has a backhoe on it.

I plan on getting a bush hog to clear a piece of land I havefrom all the bush and saplings on it.

How do I determine the size I need? How do I determine if the hitch is a cat 1 or cat 2? It seem like I an starting from scatch here so I looking for any help I can get?

/ 3 point hitch set up? #2  
YOUR HITCH IS CAT 1 HOW THICK ARE THE BRUSH YOU ARE CUTTING

/ 3 point hitch set up? #3  
welcome to TBN

/ 3 point hitch set up? #5  
I recommend a brush hog rated to handle more HP than the PTO HP rating of your tractor. Then when you are mowing saplings and the like you are much less likely to break something. My brush hog is rated for up to 65 HP and my tractor is rated for 39 HP at the PTO. I have hydraulic top and tilt. I raise the brush hog and back into trees up to a trunk diameter of about 4 1/2 inches (5 inch max) and slowly lower the brush hog, eating the tree on the way down. Been doing this off and on for nearly 10 years with the same brush hog but it is a HD unit.

Good luck with your endeavors and welcome to the pre-eminent source of advice on all matters.

Patrick

/ 3 point hitch set up? #6  
Sounds like you need a 60" mower. I have a Woods "MD" cutter, which I think stands for medium duty. It outlasted my previous tractor and is plenty rugged for my tasks - cutting thick brush and small willows.

Just don't back it into a hillside, berm, or anything that is unmovable. Also, consider getting one with a stump jumper.

/ 3 point hitch set up? #7  
Also, consider getting one with a stump jumper.

Stump jumper? There shouldn't be such a thing for sale as a brush hog WITHOUT a stump jumper. I can't imagine using a brush hog without a stump jumper. Without a jumper stumps will be a HUGE problem. What is a rotary brush cutter without a stump jumper. I guess some sort of light duty lawn mower.

Pat

/ 3 point hitch set up? #8  
Stump jumper? There shouldn't be such a thing for sale as a brush hog WITHOUT a stump jumper. I can't imagine using a brush hog without a stump jumper. Without a jumper stumps will be a HUGE problem. What is a rotary brush cutter without a stump jumper. I guess some sort of light duty lawn mower.

Pat
I have a 60" JD bushog - '60s vintage. They called it the 127 Gyramor I think. I would consider it medium duty. I remember we tried out the 5' and 6' [model227] when I was a boy. They said they had a 125HP geargox. NO stumpjumper. The 5' was more solid acting so we bought it. I like it much better than stumpjumper models I have tried. The old JDs have short reversible knives swung on a large arm. Is a very positive beat the crap out of anything under it machine. I keep the slip clutch pretty tight so it slips quite rarely on the 45ptohp tractor it spent most of its life on. I have cut trees to at least 6" by driving forward over them. If the tree would bend enuf to get the 45HP axe to it it was over. Everythings original except for the knives and the $40 bolts that hold them. Some welding repairs to the frame.
larry

/ 3 point hitch set up? #9  
I am new to the site and need some help on 3 point hitch set up.

I have a MF 3165 and I do not have any parts for the 3point hitch except the pins on the botton of the axile and the hydraulic arms the is part of the tractor so I need to set the hitch up. I do not know what I need and the sizes I need. I do not think the 3 point hitch on has never been used since it has a backhoe on it.

I plan on getting a bush hog to clear a piece of land I havefrom all the bush and saplings on it.

How do I determine the size I need? How do I determine if the hitch is a cat 1 or cat 2? It seem like I an starting from scatch here so I looking for any help I can get?

It looks like it is the industrial version of the MF 165, Should be cat 2.

Some pictures from google images, MF 165.
MASSEY IND PIC 004 (1).jpg mf-165-b.jpg MF_165_tractor_DTJ_431E_at_Driffield-P8100534.JPG

MF 3165.
forum_2546.jpg 3165.jpg

Massey Ferguson 3165 Industrial tractor parts

/ 3 point hitch set up?
Sorry guys have not been able to reply. But thanks for the information. The first picture on xfaxman reply looks like my trator form the rear.
Can anyone tell me is there after market places that sell the link and lift arms other than the dealer. Where might I find around Maryland, south-central PA. Delaware? Is it worth trying to get after market parts? I see some add for Tractor Supply Co. Are there parts okay?