Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #1  

rh99

Tractor
yanmar 1700
Has any one had this problem? Was plowing garden running fine ,sunk plow to deep and was in hard pull started blowing black smoke and stopped. I can get it to start but it will load up and stop. Acts like a gas engine with choke on. i have pulled air filter, changed fuel filter, drained fuel and put in fresh,it did this after sitting all winter but ran fine for about 1 hour before it did this.Acts like to much fuel or not getting air.Does not act like compression Pull release and spins easy release it and it hits compression and starts but then black smoke boils out and it dies. Thanks for any help can give on this,thanks

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #2  
Just an idea. Try tapping on the injector pump a little with the throttle pushed forward. Just wondering if your pump rack stuck in the wide open position. Not sure it would even have that effect but just putting something out there for thought.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #3  
Hello and welcome,
The fact that it ran for 1 hour and then shut down could mean it was becoming low in fuel, Perhaps sloshing around mixing with some moisture in the tank, Did you note how much fuel was in the tank before the initial startup? do you happen to store the tractor outside? You stated you "drain the fuel" did you suspect contaminated fuel? if so! are we to assume you flushed the tank as well, or just refill it? after refilling the tank did you properly bleed off the air in the lines?

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops
had 1/2 tank of fuel,i drained and changed fuel filter and bled from tank to injectors several times to see if made a chance but did not ,it acts like getting to much fuel.thanks

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #5  
Just wondering if your pump rack stuck in the wide open position.

I'm with Winston on this as a starting point. Does it act the same whether the throttle is at the low idle position, or at full power setting?

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #6  
I'm with Winston on this as a starting point. Does it act the same whether the throttle is at the low idle position, or at full power setting?

X3, sounds like it is overfuelling at idle and bogging it down.

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #7  
Keep in mind a diesel air intake is wide open at all times. I thought excess fuel - with no load - would lead to runaway rpm. Not to loading up like an over-choked gas engine.

So this reasoning leads toward non-combustible fuel (fuel quality, or bad injector spray pattern?) or an air intake restriction.

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #8  
Keep in mind a diesel air intake is wide open at all times. I thought excess fuel - with no load - would lead to runaway rpm. Not to loading up like an over-choked gas engine.

So this reasoning leads toward non-combustible fuel (fuel quality, or bad injector spray pattern?) or an air intake restriction.

My thoughts also. ;) I would pull the injector's check the spray and run a Compression Chk.

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #9  
My thoughts also. ;) I would pull the injector's check the spray and run a Compression Chk.

I'm sure you guys are correct. Just thought tapping on the pump would be something to try at no cost.