How to remove fuel tank on TC35

/ How to remove fuel tank on TC35 #1  

navyjoe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25 and L2501
Well the continuing saga of my powerloss problem (see other post)

TC35 inner air filter black inside - Page 2

I am continuing to have an intermittant power loss under mid to full throttle. It is kinda random, but frequent.
I have replaced the fuel filter about 1 hour of run time ago, but checked it again. I replaced both air filters. No joy.

Today I removed the fuel line and it seemed to flow feely at first then slows. Kinda subjective, but I noticed this several times.

So I drained the tank and now I want to check it.

1.Is there a filter inside the tank? Can I remove the rubber fitting were the fuel supply hose attaches, clean it then reinstall it?

2. How do you inspect inside the tank? You can't see thru the filler opening due to a 5 inch sleeve that extends inside the filler opening. There is a plate in the top center of the tank that houses the fuel level sender and the fuel return line. Can you remove that and inspect inside????

/ How to remove fuel tank on TC35
Well I guess its bad form, but I am repling to my own post.

1. There is no filter or screen. You grasp the hose filling and pull it out. It fits inside a rubber grommet. Pull the hose fitting out and reinsert the grommet.

2. Remove the 2 phillips screws on the cover plate. Disconnect the fuel sender at its connector underneathe the seat, remove the 5 phillips screws that hold it in and remove carefully.

3. I don't think it is necessary to remove the tank. The fuel sender hose opening is large enough to inspect. I made a swabbing tool using a 24 inch drill bit and a shop towel attached to swab it out then flushed with a pint of clean fuel.

Hear are some pictures DSCN2532.JPGDSCN2533.JPGDSCN2534.JPGDSCN2539.JPGDSCN2540.JPG
Picture Quality could be better but its getting dark. Tank was pretty clean for an 11 year old tractor.

Tomorrow I will find out if it fixed it. Off to parts store to get new hoses. Can't see putting old ones back in.

Well just came back from parts store. I was getting ready to purchase the hose when he realized it was for Diesel fuel. He said their hoses are only for Gas. Said I shoud try NAPA or Tractor supply (tomorrow).

So far I am writing to myself it seems :rolleyes: Hopefully it will help someone someday. Heck, with my memory I'll probably need it myself in a few years :laughing:

/ How to remove fuel tank on TC35 #4  
I'll write to you. I see no reason to replace the hose. It's a bit of a pain to run it up under the operator platform. There's lots of chances to introduce problems where none existed. If the hose passes fuel or you can blow through it, I would call it good. If it is deteriorated and hard, then that's reason to replace it. My tractor is over 13 years old and has never had a fuel feed problem related to hoses. I just won't fix it if it ain't broke. It can be very frustrating to do all this work and still have a problem, even more so than the frustration you are feeling when it runs badly now. Don't get me wrong. I hope you find the problem. Not many people have done what you are doing and I think that's why you have so few (almost none) responses.

Thanks for the reply Jim. I agee with you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! However when I removed the hose and drained it it dad a large amount of black residue that came out. I inspected the hose and it was cracking badly on the inner liner. When I swabed out the tank it was full of a black film.

I have since learned that hose rated for gasoline is not necessarly OK for diesel . So far NAPA is the only one that has it in stock. Oreilly, Auto Zone, and Advance have said no to diesel fuel. If anyone out there is using Bio-Fuel it is especially agressive.

Here is a note from Gates http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?folder=autoEducation&file=DieselFuelHose.PDF

/ How to remove fuel tank on TC35 #6  
Thanks for posting the information you have found, I'm sure it will help others here some day.

Interesting to note about the incompatibility of older lower grade fuel lines and newer diesel fuel. Sounds like s similar trend with gasoline from the 90's compared to what we can buy today E10 "gasohol" and how small engines don't fair too good with the stuff.

Was your fuel filter discolored at all?

I hope you have found your problem.

It was the hose. The supply line hose was deteriating inside. Apparently under full load (ie max fuel flow) a piece of it would randomly block the line. Easing off of the load then it would catch back up.

What I learned on fuel hose. SAE 30R6 and SAE 30R7 (it is stamped on the hose) are rated for diesel but it is an old rating and can't stand up as long to the newer fuels, and additives. If you replace your line try to go with SAE 30R9. Better yet go with Gates Barricade line which is SAE 30R41T2. It is rated for any fuel. Ethanol, Methanol, Bio-diesel, Gas, you name it. It is CARB compliant, and has it printed in green. It cost 1/3 more, but while you are there why not?

NAPA and O'reilly both carry it, I got mine from O'reilly's.

5/16" part number 27314 $1.99 foot (supply line)

3/16" part number 27315 $2.29 foot (return line, its harder to find most places were out, had to order it)

And yes, I had a black residue in my fuel bowl and the tank was coated with it. Its been going on for awhile.

/ How to remove fuel tank on TC35 #8  
Thanks for posting this Navyjo, I was having a similar problem. Mine would just go dead. I would take off the supply line and blow with all I had and finally clear it. It did it 3 or 4 times. I was wondering about taking that fitting out of the bottom of the tank to let the crap out but wasn't sure. I think you got me fixed up. Thanks again.

doall,

Glad to be of help. I was hoping it would help to someone. Remember that Gates Barricade fuel line if you havent already finishedthe job.

/ How to remove fuel tank on TC35 #10  
Thanks for posting this Navyjo, I was having a similar problem. Mine would just go dead. I would take off the supply line and blow with all I had and finally clear it. It did it 3 or 4 times. I was wondering about taking that fitting out of the bottom of the tank to let the crap out but wasn't sure. I think you got me fixed up. Thanks again.
Did changing the fuel line work? I am having the same problem and have already changed everything but the fuel line.