john deere 6105D thoughts

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I'm looking for a new tractor to take over for my old Ford 7710-II that is long gone. Primary usage would be pulling a 5-16 semi mount plow and a new Holland 575 baler. Would be a cab with FWA. I want a nice simple tractor that is reliable and easy to maintain. I've been looking at the Farmall 95 but would like to explore all my options. I have a friend who just bought a 6105D like I want setup but he has only put a few hours on it so far. Too soon for a good review. So any thoughts from you guys? Good or bad or any recommendations for different models that may be better suited for me. I'm looking to buy in time for next spring so there is no hurry at this point. Just preliminary research.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #2  
I'm looking for a new tractor to take over for my old Ford 7710-II that is long gone. Primary usage would be pulling a 5-16 semi mount plow and a new Holland 575 baler. Would be a cab with FWA. I want a nice simple tractor that is reliable and easy to maintain. I've been looking at the Farmall 95 but would like to explore all my options. I have a friend who just bought a 6105D like I want setup but he has only put a few hours on it so far. Too soon for a good review. So any thoughts from you guys? Good or bad or any recommendations for different models that may be better suited for me. I'm looking to buy in time for next spring so there is no hurry at this point. Just preliminary research.
I think either the Deere or Case IH would be your best. Both have a good dealer network. I like the New Hollands also but I think I read somewheres you had issues with your dealer. My third choice would be Massey Ferguson. We have owned several over the years and have nothing but good things to say about them. I would pick them over a Kubota that size simply because they are made heavy before you have to add any weights.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #3  
On another tractor site a man stated he pulled a JD 7000 4 row planter with a Farmall 95 for 2.3 and it only used 2.1 gallons of fuel. That dang good fuel economy. for 100 hp tractor.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #4  
I think the D series tractors are fine. The 9x9 transmission is rather limiting, but if your looking for a plain jane tractor with no bells or whistles it should be fine. I have a 5083E and I was somewhat enticed by the 6D series until I started comparing features and they are a pretty bare bones tractor. If your spending alot of time in it a 5M might suit your needs pretty well to. I dont have any plowing experience with any of them though.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #5  
More gears is better! Especially baling hay. The newer M's are longer and weigh more than the 2012's, too. With filled tires, I'd think that 5 bottoms would be manageable with either the 5100M or the 5115M.

A lot depends upon your ground and soil type. Hilly and clay is a tough row-to-hoe... ;)

AKfish

/ john deere 6105D thoughts
I know the 9 speed tranny is limited and I'm fortunate to be able to try one out first to make sure. I think my tillage applications are a little much for the 5 series and a bigger and heavier 6 series should be a better tillage tractor and capable baling tractor.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #7  
if you want a used jd 4230 there is one on govdeals in ithaca new york

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #8  
hey rob, let us know how it pans out, i keep bouncing back and forth between a 6D and a big 5M or even possibly keeping the "E" and finding a good 4840 for mowing and plowing. Possibly even big square baling.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #9  
All the numbers seem to point to the 5E.

I have noticed a lot of Kubota tractors mowing the ditches lately. I am wondering if JD has priced themselves out of the market.

D.

/ john deere 6105D thoughts #10  
All new equipment is high $$$ but I know one thing on my '11 65 pto hp Kubota. I can operate the FEL,3 pt and hyd reverser without the aid of an electrical relay.