Flail Mower First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips #1  

johnmaker

Tractor
Case IH 495
Want to change the blades for sharper ones I have. Looks like 1 7/8" nuts in the access hole. Any tips? I just ordered the socket from Grainger and have a 3/4" breaker bar. Should I change the bolts also???

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips #2  
Welcome from Va. The bolts should be good for years. Put some penetrating oil on them a few days ahead of time and let it soak in.

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips #3  
I have come to really like PB Blaster :)

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips
Great tip Ed. Will do that. That should make busting those large nuts a little easier. Thanks for your help!! JM

I've heard PB Blaster is good stuff, will take your advice and get some. Years ago when I had a repair shop we would use Liquid Wrench, may still exist,as some use WD -40. Not sure that's as good. Thanks for the tip !! JM

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips #6  
Somewhere on TBN is a rating system for penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench was good, Kroil was better, Ed's Red (equal parts acetone, mineral spirits or kerosene, and Dextron III ATF) was the best.

WD 40 and PB Blaster were not as good as these three for breaking rusted nuts from the bolts.

Ah, found the thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/269796-penetrating-oils-revisited-again.html

If all else fails don't hesitate to heat the nut to dull red and it will come right apart.

Thanks for enlightening us all...sounds like fingernail polish remover and mineral spirits, but I've got some atf (dexron 111) around too. Maybe I'll put a little of all of these on for a couple of days before I crank on these nuts. Acetone will evaporate quickly though, especially in the heat here in SC. Just waiting for my big socket to arrive from Grainger.

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips #8  
Just logged on ....signed up, I guess but yea I got a Hardee bushog with a blade broke in half....tried like the devil to get it loose. Yes soaked it with everything.. Looks like im gna heat it up after reading..Thanks but can you still buy the bolt and nut? incase I cant get it to break....and I end up blowing it out with torch.thanks if you can help.?????

/ First time blade change Hardee Tiger T972 LT Bush Hog,Helpful Tips #9  
try tractor supply for the large bolts, if needed.