MX10 Seal Replacement / Blade Holder Removal

/ MX10 Seal Replacement / Blade Holder Removal #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
Ok so I am having a little issue getting the blade holder off of my MX 10 to replace the shaft seal that failed sometime over wintertime. Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting the holder off of a splined shaft? I have tried banging it gently with a 4lb sledge from above, a half cocked jaw puller(only could get one jaw on it) and It is still tight as a string. I got the cotter pin and castle nut off easily enough, just not the hanger.

Since the seal is shot, im thinking that I could heat it up with a torch or maybe use a different style jaw puller to put some tension on it. Thoughts?

/ MX10 Seal Replacement / Blade Holder Removal #2  
Hit it from above thru the access hole it will come off, just use bigger hammer. I had no luck with pullers either.
John

/ MX10 Seal Replacement / Blade Holder Removal
awe man, lol I thought a 4lb sledge was pushing my luck, guess ill have to find an 8 or a 12! I was worried about damaging something doing it that way but a good sharp hit might be ok lol I just happen to have a piece of heavy weight pipe that fits down into the hole and over the nut so I'll have to try the wylie e coyote approach.

Stay tuned....

/ MX10 Seal Replacement / Blade Holder Removal
SO just hitting it through the access hole wasn't doing squat. Even with a 10lb sledge all I was doing was mushrooming the pipe I was using. So being creative, I got a short length of chain with a hook on each end, went up through the access hole and over each arm of the blade holder so I had a nice little loop hanging down when the hooks were connected on each end. Then I took the jack out of my truck and made an imprompt-to press with it. Put some pressure on it to where I was having a hard time turing the jack with the short handle, smacked it 3 or 4 more times with the sledge and the whole assembly droped off the spindle. Long story short, the seal replacement wasn't to bad, but trying to hold the blades, blade holder, and stump jumped up in the air while trying to put the washer and nut back on was a feat of strength! Pretty nice to know that I'm not gonna grenade $1k+ gear box over some leaking oil.