Price Check MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
Hi Guys
I have been thinking about a second tractor and a year ago a friend of mine bought this tractor in show room condition
with the promise from someone who was going to let him groom land for rabbit hunting with his hawk and after
my friend bought the tractor the guy told him no. So this friend of mine kept the tractor and now wants to sell.
It had it orginally for $6000 and now down to $4800. Is this still too high. All I want the tractor for is a finish mower and
bush hog. Which I already have. I do not need a front end load my JD has one with forks.
Tractor has been completly rebuilt. What is the true value of the tractor. What some gets is sometimes different
than the book value of it. Tractor has been for sale at least 6 months. this guy is funny I would not want to
offer too low as he will get mad. I do not care with a stranger but do with a friend.
mf1.jpgmf2.jpgmf3.jpg

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #2  
Hi Guys
I have been thinking about a second tractor and a year ago a friend of mine bought this tractor in show room condition
with the promise from someone who was going to let him groom land for rabbit hunting with his hawk and after
my friend bought the tractor the guy told him no. So this friend of mine kept the tractor and now wants to sell.
It had it orginally for $6000 and now down to $4800. Is this still too high. All I want the tractor for is a finish mower and
bush hog. Which I already have. I do not need a front end load my JD has one with forks.
Tractor has been completly rebuilt. What is the true value of the tractor. What some gets is sometimes different
than the book value of it. Tractor has been for sale at least 6 months. this guy is funny I would not want to
offer too low as he will get mad. I do not care with a stranger but do with a friend.
View attachment 325960View attachment 325961View attachment 325962

Checking http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1110&Manu=MASSEY-FERGUSON&MDLGrp=165 it seems a good deal, what are the hours?

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #3  
I don't know enough about older tractors to comment on the price. In my opinion, the reason to buy an old tractor is more for fun then serious work. While you say it's all been rebuilt, it will still need work and upkeep. Can you get the parts for it and do you have to time to work on it to keep it going?

How big of a mower will it be running? How often?

For me, I like to have a riding mower for my nice areas. I went from a riding mower to a zero turn mower and think that either are better then a tractor pulling a finish mower. Both for the finished look and ease of operating. There is also very little maintenance and time with a grease gun to run the riding mower compared to the tractor and finish mower.

For bigger areas, the bush hog is going to be a lot better. If your JD is always being used for something else and it's a big hassle and eats up too much time putting on the bush hog and taking off again all the time, then another tractor makes a lot of sense. It just goes back to how much will it take to maintain the second tractor for it's benefit? I try to bush hog my fields three times a year and touch up my trails. All the rest of my mowing is done with my riding mower.

Eddie

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #4  
MK: I suggest you offer him what he wants...assuming the tractor actually looks as good as the pics...one thing though, make sure the Multi-Power works as it should..if you don't know what it is, read up on it in the Massey Vintage section...Tires look good...the weights on the front end and the weight bracket are worth $400 to $500 by themselves...have him show you the paperwork on the rebuild... the engine is a 4 cyl Contenintal...good unit for a gasser. I have a 135 with the Cont. engine...wouldn't trade it for anything...it also appears that the 165 has power steering...make sure it works well... good luck. BobG in VA

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #5  
Hi Guys
View attachment 325960View attachment 325961View attachment 325962

You can buy all of the 165s that you want for $3500 - $4000 though few if any will look like the one in the photos.

Insuffient information to provide much more help but gasoline versions generally command a lower price than diesels. "[C]ompletely rebuilt" means different things to different people.

It's been for sale for 6 months. I would sit on it for a few more.

SDT

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #6  
You can buy all of the 165s that you want for $3500 - $4000 though few if any will look like the one in the photos.

Insuffient information to provide much more help but gasoline versions generally command a lower price than diesels. "[C]ompletely rebuilt" means different things to different people.

It's been for sale for 6 months. I would sit on it for a few more.

SDT

The 6 months thing tells me these don't sell very well there. offer 4000.

/ MF 1969 Massey 165, gas, 58HP price $4800 what do you think #7  
Judging from your photos, it looks like a Deluxe model (full set of gauges) with Multipower, like my 1964 MF135 diesel (paid $3600 for it in 2006). That 165 is in much better cosmetic condition than my 135 when I bought it.

Make sure the Multipower works in both ranges (when the MP clutch goes bad, the MP gets stuck in t he Low range).

Also check the bottom of the clutch housing. On my 135 there are two small diameter weep holes that generally have loosely fitting cotter pins installed. Pull the pins and check for any fluid drips. A few drops is normal; a steady flow could indicate bad oil seals in either the engine (rear main seal) or in the gear box.

If that 165 passes the driving test and the exhaust smoke test, then the price seems pretty good to me.

Good luck.