LX277 Won't run at full Throttle

/ LX277 Won't run at full Throttle #1  

prowler

Tractor
John Deere LX277
While checking out this site, I notice my post of a year ago regarding the same issue that I have today. Lots of helpful ideas here from you folks but I never really fixed the problem with my mower.

I've been dealing with this issue (LX277 Won't run at full Throttle) for a year now. Last year when it was dryer and the grass didn't grow as much, running at half throttle didn't seem to be such a big deal. This year, it's different, what with all the rain and growth. Running at half throttle doesn't process the grass and leaves rows outside the discharge chute. Sweeping is always needed. I just finished mowing 2 acres of lawn with this thing but every time I try to open up the throttle, it starts to surge and sputter and needs to be "choked" to smooth it out and return to half throttle.

About the last thing to try is to replace the entire carburetor. This machine is 13 years old. It is a air cooled, Kawasaki FH500V, 494cc, 17HP VTwin OHV.

/ LX277 Won't run at full Throttle #2  
Sounds to me like the main jet or the emulsion tube is partially blocked. I'm not familiar with what carb is on the Kawi but a teardown, cleaning , resetting the float level is where I would start .

/ LX277 Won't run at full Throttle
Thanks for the feedback. It all helps.

/ LX277 Won't run at full Throttle #4  
While checking out this site, I notice my post of a year ago regarding the same issue that I have today. Lots of helpful ideas here from you folks but I never really fixed the problem with my mower.

Did you put some fresh gas in the tank?
I want you to get this thing fixed:cool2:

Did you put some fresh gas in the tank?

Another good suggestion. Yes, the tank has been removed and inspected for debris, flushed and re-installed. Fresh gas filtered through a cloth always used with this machine since this problem surfaced. Just this week the tank was bypassed [and removed from the equation] by dropping the fuel pump input line into a clean gallon jug of gasoline with no improvement.

/ LX277 Won't run at full Throttle #6  
sounds like prob we had with our gt245-------bought carb rebuild kit- 35 bucks, and about 45 min job and its running like a champ now, have to reset idle speed adj but thats easy also-------------good luck

I installed a new carburetor this AM - out of exasperation - and mowed 2 acres without a hitch. Hoping this solved the problem.

Needless to say, I appreciated all the replies.