R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal?

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #1  

number9L

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Called my dealer today and asked for a quote to order R1 tires and wheels, with rear tires filled for my tractor.

I have 50hr on my tractor and the R4's look barely used, been on grass and dirt mostly and pavement once.

Dealer called back and quoted me the following....

$500 and my R4 tires/wheels
$1,460 to buy the R1 tires/wheels out right

Does this sound like a fair deal?

I think I may be better buying them out right and then selling my R4's but I don't know. At least if I did, I'd have them both on hand to try and make SURE I kept the ones I wanted to live with from now on.

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #2  
I think selling them yourself may be better. And also, this way you will know for certain you have the tires that suit your needs the best.

Good luck,

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #3  
I ordered R1's with beet juice on my pending order and was quoted $300 n change. Add $200 for new rims and install sounds good in my book.

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal?
Hmm, so the Wholegoods Price List shows

R1 F $262ea R $435ea = Total $1,394
R4 F $251ea R $773ea = Total $2,048

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #5  
I've owned several Kubota Bs and BXs and one L. I usually get Turf or R/I4s. I bought a geared (first and last one ever) B2310 with R1s last year since it was for just tilling and boxblading and plowing. I didn't like the R1s and hated the gear drive. Was going to trade R1s even trade to a fellow B2320 owner in Michigan that did mostly gardening with his tractor. He came near my area once a year or so and was to bring his R4s and pick up my R1s but I traded the tractor to Barlows and Steve Barlow agreed to make the trade just like I was going to, even. He (Steve) said it would be a fair trade for me and my fellow B2320 owner.
Maybe you can post your desire to trade and find someone like me that doesn't like the R1s and would love to trade them to a set of R/I4s and make you both happy with no cost to either of you..

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #6  
What size tires do you have? Are they common to other models or just your 3800? The more people who could use them the better your chances are to sell them outright.

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #7  
Hmm, so the Wholegoods Price List shows

R1 F $262ea R $435ea = Total $1,394
R4 F $251ea R $773ea = Total $2,048

Sounds like the dealer is offering you about $900 for your R4s, if he's selling you R1's for $500 plus the R4's. The offer is better if the labor to install is included. You could probably do better if you sold them yourself online, but overall that doesn't sound like too much of a ripoff. After all, the dealer has to then re-sell them at a profit, and since they're used, he's not going to get anywhere near list, no matter how good a condition they're in. The flip-side of selling them yourself is that you have to find someone who has a tractor that fits their size, and in the mean time, you have to eat the money that you spent on the R1's. And then you have to deal with (literal) tire-kickers coming and wasting your time and trying to talk you down another $200 and so forth.

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #8  
Good deal take it.

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #9  
I've owned several Kubota Bs and BXs and one L. I usually get Turf or R/I4s. I bought a geared (first and last one ever) B2310 with R1s last year since it was for just tilling and boxblading and plowing. I didn't like the R1s and hated the gear drive. Was going to trade R1s even trade to a fellow B2320 owner in Michigan that did mostly gardening with his tractor. He came near my area once a year or so and was to bring his R4s and pick up my R1s but I traded the tractor to Barlows and Steve Barlow agreed to make the trade just like I was going to, even. He (Steve) said it would be a fair trade for me and my fellow B2320 owner.
Maybe you can post your desire to trade and find someone like me that doesn't like the R1s and would love to trade them to a set of R/I4s and make you both happy with no cost to either of you..

What didn't you like about the R1's? I'm curious because I think I'd like R1's better.

/ R4 to R1 swap - is this a fair deal? #10  
What didn't you like about the R1's? I'm curious because I think I'd like R1's better.

:laughing:Was expecting that question.
I didn't do mud so didn't need the extra traction in mud. Haven't had any traction issues because of tires using the I/R4s, just overpowered light weight Bs and BXs will spin tires. I kept my B2320 in a storage bldg. and getting to the garden across the pavement was a floppy ride since there isn't as much rubber on the ground, they just sort of loped. The I/R4s are, for me, the best all around tire made with being between the turf which has so much rubber meeting the road for great dry ground traction (also snow) and the R1 ags with not much rubber on the road but big tread openings to grab loose dirt to pull the machine. I have less need for big treads to pull me in loose dirt than any other need. The other B2320 owner that was interested in trading uses his tractor mostly for gardening and wanted the loose dirt pulling traction.
In my mind the more rubber on the road means more traction except for loose dry dirt or mud so in my mind I want more rubber on the ground for the jobs I have which is mostly home landscaping on hillside with some flat ground. Turfs are my preference but I don't think they are as puncture resistant as R/I4s nor are the side wall of the turf as strong as the R/I4 for heavy FEL/BH work. Just my opinion based on my experience with several Bs and BXs.
Sure Ag R1 owners will chip in and tell you they are the greatest tire made and why you should spend hundreds of dollars to get them.:D