Backhoe Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics

/ Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics #1  

karleepapa

Tractor
2006 L3940 Kabota
I placed this post yesterday in owner/operator which maybe should be placed here?

I understand subframe mounted is better than 3pt. and manufacture attachment matched to tractor, but which is better for the tractor, a self-contained backhoe or one that runs of off the tractors hydraulics?

What type of backhoe to buy
I want to buy a backhoe for my L3940 Kubota. I was following a thread on this subject and lost it. Under frame mounting vs 3pt. There was talk of saving only a few hundred $. I have looked at bushog self-contained for about $7,500.00 and a Kubota installed subframe for $8,300.00. I just looked at a China made Value Leader 7'/dig VLBHM7, which is self-contained for $4,200.00. It ships free and is a 3pt. intall. It comes with a two year warranty. My questions are: Can any 3pt. backhoe be modified to be sub-frame mounted, and is a self-contained (runs off of rear PTO no hook-ups and does not use tractor transmission) the best way to go. Is it less harder on the tractor to use the PTO or the tractors hydraulics?

/ Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics #2  
The reason why people recommend sub frame mounts is that a backhoe is usually strong enough to put huge strains on the tractor it is mounted to. The 3pt is almost always not designed to handle this stress. The sub frame is usually designed so that it trys to protect the engine to bell housing to transmission to rear end so that the tractor does not fail in these areas. Most tractor hyd pumps will run a backhoe, but a stand alone system will usually provide better flow and faster operation of the hoe. A common weekend ho operator with limited ho skills gets by just fine with a slower ho [ like me ], but a pro would go for the stand alone... But, also, a pro would probably not use a CUT ho and go for a construction size unit... I would be looking into hoe with a subframe designed for your tractor, bite the bullet, pay the money.... A self contained is a plus, but make sure it is a frame mount designed for your tractor. Here is some stumps I dug out yesterday.... making a new wood stacking area..

Last edited:
   / Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics #3  
   / Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics
Thank you Jerry, as I would push my tractor to it's limits I'll pay the man now and not latter.

/ Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics #5  
Before you spend almost 10K on an attachment consider a well used mini excavator for same price. Good investment that will return when you sell it.

Tractor mounted backhoes are very hard on the tractor and owning a L3940 myself I doubt the machine would run the hoe very well.

Fred

/ Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics #6  
My questions are: Can any 3pt. backhoe be modified to be sub-frame mounted, and
is a self-contained (runs off of rear PTO no hook-ups and does not use tractor transmission) the best way to go. Is it
less harder on the tractor to use the PTO or the tractors hydraulics?

Yes, any 3-pt hoe can be modified to mount on a subframe. It is just a matter of time, effort,
and $.

As for the tractor hydraulics versus a PTO pump system, this issue has also been brought up many
times. Deluxe modern CUTs like the Lxx40s have an excellent implement pump system, and are
superior in every way to a PTO pump system. Superior in cost AND performance. I know some
folks will say that a separate hyd system for the hoe will keep oil from both systems from mixing,
and that is somehow an advantage. IMO, it is only an advantage if the hoe is not yours, and is
used on multiple unknown tractors.

Older tractors did not have the 2500psi/8.3GPM hydraulics your Grand L has. If you had a wimpy
2 or 3GPM pump, I would say, yes, go with a PTO pump system. The hoe for your machine
will work well at a flow rate of 5-6 GPM, so you do not have to run your tractor engine at full
speed either.

Kubota's subframe hoe that is sold for the L3940 is well-designed from what I see and hear. Sure,
it is expensive and no TLB is going to dig quite as well as a hydraulic excavator. But a CUT with
a hoe attachment does a lot more than just dig.

/ Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics #7  
Before you spend almost 10K on an attachment consider a well used mini excavator for same price. Good investment that will return when you sell it.

Tractor mounted backhoes are very hard on the tractor and owning a L3940 myself I doubt the machine would run the hoe very well.

Fred

Having had a Bushhog backhoe unit on a 33hp New Holland tractor, I would totally agree with Fred. Save your money, either buy or rent a REAL machine if you need much more than the occasional culvert cleaned out. They have little power, little reach, you almost have to have someone ELSE in the tractor seat to move the machine if you digging a ditch, the seat of the backhoe is designed for midgets, and so on. I'd never have another....nope....it's one of those "looks good on paper" things that are a real waste of money. When I sold my New Holland, I threw the backhoe in with it just to get it gone.

/ Self-contained or run of off tractor hydraulics
Guys, I really appreciate all the comments. I already started looking today for another piece of equipment just for digging. I was offered a full size Case loader/backhoe for $9000.00 The mini excavator sounds good, and I might look at some trencher/backhoes. I am still open to any suggestions, and I will let you all know what I do. Again thanks much.