TC33D Power Steering Filter

/ TC33D Power Steering Filter #1  

Bruces715

Tractor
New Holland TC33D, Cub Cadet GT 2550, Scotts 1642
My 2003 TC33D is due for the 600 hour maint. I went to my New Holland dealer yesterday and they did not show a part number for the power steering filter? I am a little confused does anyone know is the filter actually the entire reservoir? Somewhere I saw a part # SBA360101470 and when I looked on line for that part it appeared to be the reservoir. I have done the hyd. fluid/filter change at 300 hours so know how to do that. I am having a tech. from the dealer come out to do valve/injector adjustment, as I do not know how to do that. Any thoughts are appreciated.

/ TC33D Power Steering Filter #2  
Yes the power steering filter is the reservoir.

Brian

/ TC33D Power Steering Filter #3  
Here's my thoughts: In the absence of any symptoms, a valve lash adjustment at 600 hours is probably a waste of money. Removing the injectors and testing them definitely is at this point if there are no symptoms. Changing the P/S reservoir filter now is debatable as well, but it can't hurt. Screwing up the factory valve lash is a real possibility depending on your tech's capabilities.

/ TC33D Power Steering Filter #4  
I have almost 1900 hours on my tractor and have never changed the PS filter. Look at the fluid. If you don't like the way it looks, drain and refill the reservoir. If you ever develop slow or underpowered steering, then the filter might be suspect, but in my 1900 hours, I've never had a steering problem. I would save my money and spend it on things like fuel filters, engine oil filters, and main hydraulic filters. Changing that engine oil and filter between 100 and 125 hours is probably the single most important thing you can do to ensure long engine life. Also, if you look at your hydraulic fluid and it's nice and clear looking at 600 hours, I'd just change the main hydraulic filter and HST filter (HST is most important). Wait for 900 hours to change the fluid. Be sure and check your front axle/differential and wheel drop boxes. Be careful not to overfill because there is no vent. Pressure builds up inside the differential. If there is no air space, then it will blow seals. The differential and drop boxes use the same hydraulic fluid as the power steering and main hydraulic system reservoir.

/ TC33D Power Steering Filter
I have almost 1900 hours on my tractor and have never changed the PS filter. Look at the fluid. If you don't like the way it looks, drain and refill the reservoir. If you ever develop slow or underpowered steering, then the filter might be suspect, but in my 1900 hours, I've never had a steering problem. I would save my money and spend it on things like fuel filters, engine oil filters, and main hydraulic filters. Changing that engine oil and filter between 100 and 125 hours is probably the single most important thing you can do to ensure long engine life. Also, if you look at your hydraulic fluid and it's nice and clear looking at 600 hours, I'd just change the main hydraulic filter and HST filter (HST is most important). Wait for 900 hours to change the fluid. Be sure and check your front axle/differential and wheel drop boxes. Be careful not to overfill because there is no vent. Pressure builds up inside the differential. If there is no air space, then it will blow seals. The differential and drop boxes use the same hydraulic fluid as the power steering and main hydraulic system reservoir.

I appreciate the comments, I try to follow what the manual recommends, but feel sometimes there is over kill. I have been faithful on oil/filter changes and on hydraulic filter and HST filter and changed the fluid at 300 hours. The power steering fluid looks clean so will probably forget about changing the power steering filter. I am also reconsidering having the dealer check the valve adjustment and injectors, tractor runs great so maybe it would be a waste of $$. I have loved this little tractor, only repairs have been an ignition switch and a glow plug timer relay, which I was able to handle myself with the help from the good people on Tractorbynet. Thanks

/ TC33D Power Steering Filter #6  
The power steering reservoir & filter combo is very expensive. Way over a hundred dollars IIRC. I chose to just change out the fluid when I saw the price.