Poulan sprocket not engaging spring?

/ Poulan sprocket not engaging spring? #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
My rope broke. I had to open it up to clean it up. But for some odd reason, when I put the pull rope assembly back on the sprocket it turns a few times, but the spring gives way.

I have examined the assemply and it looks ok. The spring is still tight. I am turning it clock-wise. It's like it is not grabbing the spring right? And slipping.

This is a side view of the pull rope assembly, visualize a T as your lokking directly down on the saw from the side.
______
| | - rope sits here
O - O is side view of spring, there is a opening on the sprocket, I guess for the sprint to go into or catch for tension?

Suggestions?

/ Poulan sprocket not engaging spring? #2  
The spring has to have enough pretension on it to pull the rope in completely. When you say the spring gives way do you mean it comes unhooked from the rope drum? Plus the spring should be anchored in the case side cover as well. Can you post a picture?

/ Poulan sprocket not engaging spring?
It is anchored in the side correctly. It seems to come undone from the rope drum itself, I can give it maybe three turns and then I hear it, and feel it, unwind. I'll see about a picture this afternoon. I may just take it down the road to a shop. It's so annoying, it is not worth my time. I need the saw, like yesterday!