I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for?

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #1  

29toter

Tractor
Oliver 1800A
I was looking for a Ford but an Oliver 1800 came up in my area for a great price. Is there anything I should be looking for? It's had not diesel. Still it looks to have 26xx hundred original hours on it. Aside from standard looking for leaks and driving it around, is there anything I should be looking for? Are these tractors reliable? Any known troubles?

Thanks for all.
Sam

Ps. Thanks all

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #2  
2600 hours on an 1800 would be nothing. Many years ago as a hired tractor jockey, I put in quite a few hours on one, always liked it. Never had any troubles.

I think the 1800 is an example of a good tractor that many Ag operations have outgrown. Back in the late 60's it was a common-sized 6 bottom plow tractor. Now it's probably just a wagon puller. They are good, solid machines if it is what you need.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #3  
IIRC, the 1800's had oil heating issues. The turbos overheated the oil or something to that effect. The 1755 was ok, but once you went larger you had to keep the oils changed often. I may be wrong, but do some searching before you buy.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #4  
Here are some serial number/date type of Oliver 1800's:

Oliver Heritage Magazine
Model 1800, A, B, &, C
1960 (A) 90 525 - 111 024
1961 (A) 111 025 - 117 375
1962 (A) 118 344 - 124 395
1962 (B) 124 397 - 126 352
1963 (B) 129 286 - 134 683
1963 (C) 136 501 - 140 085
1964 (C) 140 893 - 149 818

According to the linked info above, the Oliver 1950-T diesel in 1967 was the first turbo Oliver.

Anyways, the info in the link should allow you to figure out which Oliver series and year you are looking at.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for?
I did buy the Oliver. She is a 1960 that runs on gas. Everything seems to work just fine on her and she came with a brush hog for the princely sum of $3,200 all together. Even had manuals and some maintenance records.

Thank you all for your replys.

Sam

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #6  
I did buy the Oliver. She is a 1960 that runs on gas. Everything seems to work just fine on her and she came with a brush hog for the princely sum of $3,200 all together. Even had manuals and some maintenance records.

Thank you all for your replys.

Sam

That's a real deal if it works out for you. No reason it shouldn't. You could spend 3X that for half the tractor in newer stuff.

Do you plan on giving it a good going over? Flush the cooling system, change fluids & filters, eyeball the wiring, new spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, tune-up, etc.?

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for?
Yes I have every intention of going over her with a fine tooth comb. I've already purchased every manual I didn't have off of ebay. Also have started to find places to buy parts should they be needed. I have no intention of abusing this tractor but she will be set to work, not just for lookin at. The previous owner had done at least the visual maintenance as it has very clean oil and new filters Still I'll be making sure ALL recommended maintenance is done. I found one broken off zirk fitting and will be replacing that shortly.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #8  
Yes I have every intention of going over her with a fine tooth comb. I've already purchased every manual I didn't have off of ebay. Also have started to find places to buy parts should they be needed. I have no intention of abusing this tractor but she will be set to work, not just for lookin at. The previous owner had done at least the visual maintenance as it has very clean oil and new filters Still I'll be making sure ALL recommended maintenance is done. I found one broken off zirk fitting and will be replacing that shortly.

That's a great approach. I think it's one those things where if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #9  
That is a lot of tractor and with that little of use over 50+ years should do about what it would do when new. What in the world would you be doing that would be abuse to a tractor that size? :)

/ I'm looking at an Oliver 1800. what to look for? #10  
Pictures man....we need pictures!

null_zpsf87e71f5.jpg