Box Scraper Box Blade or bust?

/ Box Blade or bust? #1  

fluffhead31

Tractor
NH TC35A w/ 16LA FEL
I have a 1/2 mile road into my hunting camp. The ruts have gotten really deep...it is mainly dirt with some decent sized rocks beginning to surface. What is the best attachment to begin routine work keeping it passable?? I'm thinking a drag harrow could not handle it and the box blade is the way to go. Thoughts?

/ Box Blade or bust? #2  
Box blade for sure.
John

/ Box Blade or bust? #3  
Have you looked at any of the land planes/grading scrapers with scarfiers. They dont require you to play with the 3pt much once adjusted if that's going to be the primary use it might be your best options

/ Box Blade or bust? #4  
Can't say I ever play around with the 3pt on my BB once it's adjusted other than to lift it up and down with the hydraulics.

/ Box Blade or bust? #5  
I have over a mile of road that I maintain. 1/2 of that shared with 3 other neighbors. I have all heavy duty implements. I have a box blade, a rear blade, a landscape rake and a land plane grading scraper that I use at times on the road. I can get the road in very good shape with any of them and have. None and I do mean none of them work as quick as the land plane grading scraper. The LPGS is by far the preferred implement for maintenance of our roads.

Each of these implements excel in specific tasks and can do many, but clearly the LPGS is the road maintenance implement of my choice. ;)

Attachments

• P4190013.JPG
    P4190013.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 345
  • PC290002.JPG
    PC290002.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 580
   / Box Blade or bust? #6  
Box Blade or bust? Which would be the better attachment for road repair?

Box-Blade.jpg Bust01.JPG

:)

Bruce

/ Box Blade or bust? #8  
   / Box Blade or bust? #9  
Land Plane for sure - I maintain a mile plus of road that is a mix of ledge, boulders, sand, and gravel. I previously used a box blade, landscape rake, and rear blade.... and have occasion to use all of them still. BUT the implement that has made the biggest difference, and really does most of the work, is the land plane.

I typically do the following:

-in spring use the landscape rake to get all the winter debris (road isn't plowed in winter) off the road as well as out of the ditches (8' offsetting Woods rake)... leaves and sticks mostly
-Land Plane, followed up by a medium-speed raking (the land plane brings lots of stones to the top - the small ones I want to keep there, the not so small to large ones I want OFF the road, and not in the ditch either. So a good pace with a very angled rake just barely touching the new surface works great to pick up and fling those rocks right off the road).

If I lose my ditches (folks "mud bogging" in there in spring) I'll use either the rear blade to move the material back in to the center of the road (and re-creat the ditch) or if it isn't too bad the landscape rake. The box blade is also good for moving material - but really not as good for getting things super flat easily. I use my box blade for making NEW roads mostly.

Another "implement" if you will I couldn't live without at this point is top and tilt - it makes road maintenance SO much easier being able to adjust on the fly both the land plane and especially the landscape rake (being able to "feather" areas). I do have the gauge wheels.

/ Box Blade or bust? #10  
I have a SCUT (C2450 Yanmar/Cub) and find a 52” BB to work really nice to level stone and dirt, rooted land is not the best use of this tool, at least with my tractor. (the NEXT Tractor will be bigger and new tools but the BB will be one of the first replacements)
My neighbor in MA borrowed it to level his drive of crushed stone and thinks he will invest in one now that I am moving to the west coast and taking the tractor.

My new place has two drives, not really long 200 yards and 50 yards, short in comparison but they will need work and my plan is the BB.
I also feel the BB is a good all around tool for landscaping as well as the road work.

Last edited: