Is this normal?

/ Is this normal? #1  

GeneD14

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV and an Allis 170, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kubota ZD 1211, Kawasaki Mule 610, 2 Stihl 361's and a Stihl 660 Ported and tuned
I have had several different saws over the years with automatic oilers. After I'm done using them they drip a little bar oil out over night. My issue is new that my new saw seems to keep dripping for weeks. I would guess that it will empty out half of the oil tank in a month's time if the saw just sits on the shelf.
Is there an easy fix?
Thanks

/ Is this normal? #2  
Some saws are worse than others as far as leaks. I believe the main reason for the leaks is due to the up and down temperature swings that are happening this time of year. As the temp drops and oil contracts it causes it to suck air through the air bleed. the next day as the temp goes up it expands, but some saws only have a one way air bleed, so the only possibly outcome is to push the pressure out the bar. Could also be related to how the oil pump stops when shut off the saw.

There has been several people inquire about this problem over the last few years, and I don't think anybody has really come up with a good fix.

/ Is this normal? #3  
If it's a NEW saw I'd try and take it back to the dealer.
I've an Efco MT3600, a Stihl 021, a JD CS 62, two Stihl 660's and a Stihl 088. None of them leak oil.

/ Is this normal? #4  
I store mine on plastic bins so it drips there, at least that prevents a mess. All my saws drip to some degree, some are better if stored on their side.

/ Is this normal? #5  
There is a check valve that is supposed to keep the oil from leaking out. Sometimes these get debris in them and get stuck open or they just go bad. Replacement is cheap (generally less than $10 on a Stihl).

Should be covered by warranty if it is a new saw.

/ Is this normal?
Thanks for the advice.

I plan on taking it into the dealer to have him fix the check valve.

/ Is this normal? #7  
Im a little late, but did you take it to the dealer yet??

Just curious, what is the brand/model of the saw??

I have 8 or 9 saws. Only 2 of them drip slightly. I just make sure the tanks are empty (gas AND oil) before I store them. Cause sometimes I use my saws several days a week, other times I can go months without using. Just never know whats going to come up, or what the weather will permit.

/ Is this normal? #8  
And I thought they were SUPPOSED to leak oil on the shelf.:laughing: That's the reason I always had mine on something to catch the oil, although I usually emptied the oil and the fuel before putting it away.

/ Is this normal? #9  
Crack the oil fill cap to relieve any pressure before putting them away. That should resolve most problems. If it's still an issue, I'd investigate further. Should be no worse than a minor dribble.

/ Is this normal? #10  
Neither of my Stihls leak, but my Jonsereds do. A lot. I'll try cracking the caps next time...