Price Check Kioti DK40SE HST

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #1  

mcp1

Tractor
none yet - help me decide!
Just started looking at the Kioti tractors. Can someone give me a ballpark on what a fair cash price is on the DK40SE HST? I see they have the free loader program, that I assume will carry on to next month. Do the loaders come with a bucket?

I don't know what options I would need beyond that, maybe only some remote hydraulics. Just looking to see if this is even in the ballpark for me.

Also, what tractor in the Kubota line would this be roughly equivalent to?

Thanks! :D

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #2  
Talking around 22k The Bota match would be a L4260 or L4240 if you can find one.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST
Thanks murphy. Price sounds very reasonable. L4240 or 4260...wow, I was thinking it was more in line with the L4600.

I see it says you have one. What can you tell me about it? From what I've read, seems to be a pretty nice tractor. I know NOTHING about Kioti's, heck I don't know much about any models LOL. Just starting to learn, in the market for mid size 4wd hst ride. Currently looking at L3800, or maybe L4600... but open to other options. Thanks!

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #4  
Well I have a Kioti too so I am biased.. I have the DK35se.. just slightly smaller than the DK40se, but almost the same in most respects except engine and loader capacity. The Kioti DK series are an "upscale" line, meaning more features. The L3800 and L4600 Kubota are "standard" tractors.. meaning less features. The Grand L models in the Kubota line are "upscale or deluxe" tractors with many features. Kubtoa "fanboys" might disagree, but the one feature the Kioti lacks the Grand L has the the 3rd generation Hydrostat in the the Kubota. It is called HST+. and it has some nice features I wish the Kioti had, but I could not justify the "upscale" price.. I can get along with the regular hydrostat in my Kioti:) The Kioti DK40se is noted for an extremely strong loader, and a nice deluxe feature set at a good price.. around here they are about $22,400. with Front End Loader (FEL) and Hydrostat. Gear model would be a bit cheaper. The "standard" Kubota L series are good tractors that compare more to the CK or DS line in the Kioti. If you would like to talk specificly about what the differences are we can do that, but I won't bore you with facts and opinions if you don't need them.:) I would advise you look carefully, read a lot, start a spreadsheet or list, and ask lots of questions.. THEN and only THEN spend your money.. don't be in any hurry.

James K0UA

/ Kioti DK40SE HST
K0UA...thanks. I'd be glad to hear specifics on differences and pros/cons of both, especially since you have owned both. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about a bunch of tractors at this point. Only want to spend money once! :D

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #6  
K0UA...thanks. I'd be glad to hear specifics on differences and pros/cons of both, especially since you have owned both. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about a bunch of tractors at this point. Only want to spend money once! :D

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's way more fun to spend that money 2-3 times. :cool2: :rolleyes: That is except the actual spending of the money, then it's usually better for most of us to try and keep it to just the one time. ;)

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #7  

OK, let compare my current tractor to my last tractor an L3400HST 2010 model. They are in two different classes. The L3400HST does compare almost the same tractor as the current L3800HST

The only differences are a slightly re-designed loader (hidden steel lines) some slight sheet-metal changes but nothing serious. Shall we go into the jerky 3pt hitch of the standard Kubota's?

I could talk for hours about this, but you can read and search thread on here for hours, Mine was bad. Some folks say theirs isn't. I tested my Brother in Laws new 2013 L3200hst a couple of months, ago... uh. huh.. It was just like the one I traded in. I don't want to beat that horse to death as it is already dead..But you can search yourself. Another ongoing thread now on here says that Kubota is seriously looking in to the problem and give a number and a name. A Kubota USA Representative contacted me after I raised "cain" but it was after I traded in the tractor.."there is not much we can do for you now".. YUP.

Kubota regional manager never gave me the time of day. My selling dealer blew me off, another dealer tried everything he could to help. Anyway enough of that.. Other than the jerky hitch, the L3400hst was reliable workhorse. It did everything Kubota said it would and more.

Compared to my Kioti, it was missing some nice things. Lets start with telescoping stabilizers and lower links. These items make hooking up an implement so much better it is not even funny.. It is (in my opinion) CRIMINAL not to include these things on every tractor. Of course it is on the DK.

Painted steel floorboards that the paint wears off of in the first week of ownership instead of a thick mat like on the DK, well that is fairly minor I guess. I solved that by covering my L3400hst with Pickup bed liner. That worked well and looked and increased traction too. Of course a Grand L will have a nice mat too.

You can order the standard L's with SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) but it does cost extra.. it is provided on the Kioti DK series at no charge.

Electric push button PTO engagement, Cruise control and 4wd engagement... I can take or leave them.. The mechanical counterparts work pretty well on the standard L's Kubotas.. I might point out all of this is provided on the DK.. just as it is a Grand L Kubota. The 4wd electric control is quite a bit handier though than the pull lever on the standard L.

Joystick placement on the loader.. some people complain heavily about this, I got along OK with it, Of course the Kioti DK will have it by your side on the chassis of the tractor just like a Grand L Kubota does. It is a little more comfortable that way.

Side by side HST pedals on the Kioti like most other manufactures (example John Deer or New Holland) Kubota has single "treadle pedal".. was not a big deal to me, but some others "hate" the treadle pedal. I got along fine with it.. The Grand L's have a single pedal, but it is better designed.

The Kioti has brake pedals on the left. The Standard L's have brake pedals on the right.. Well. lets see you you do a split brake turn with the Hydrostat pedal on the right and the split brake pedals on the right... There are two or 3 ways to "try" to do it on the Kubota.. None of the ways are worth a "chit" You need 2 right feet. You either move the left foot over to try to stomp the brake pedal, or try to "heel toe it" or you can set the cruise control then take your single right foot off the hydro treadle pedal and stomp the brake pedal. It is pretty easy on the Kioti,, step on the split brake pedal of choice with the left foot! JD and NewHolland are this way too. Kubota has moved their pedals to the left this year on the Grand L models.

The Kioti has a nice flat floor, the Kubota standard L's have a big "hump" in the middle.. see trying to move your left foot over to stomp the brake pedal for a split brake turn in the above paragraph. It ain't easy! The big hump is not any fun when getting on or off the tractor either..You will adapt and overcome though.:)

Tilt steering wheel..kinda nice.. on the Kioti, of course the Standard L's don't have it. Better suspension seat.. another comfort thing.... Horn button on Kioti... Not a big deal to me, but some people are busy adding them to their Kubota's

There is one feature you cannot buy on a Kubota of any stripe and that is an extra 3pt lift position control lever on the back of the tractor. Big deal you say? Well it is a big deal when you are hooking up and implement with those nice stabilizers and telescoping lower links, you can also make adjustments to the height of the lift while you are standing to the side of the implement. This is a real convenience feature.

My 35 horse Kioti weights 1066 lbs more than the L3800. It is just has more steel in it. Heavier front axle, heavier everything. Of course my little Kioti lifts about 500 or so more lbs on the 3pt, and about 300 more on the loader. Minor points but worth mentioning. The DK40se if you are comparing it to the L3800 will lift about 500 more on the 3pt, and about 1600 more on the loader (over double what the L3800/LA524 loader will lift... (the DK40 loader the KL401 is a beast:shocked:)

My tractor or the Dk40, can have a mid PTO, it is an option, ( mower or front snowblower etc.)but it is an option you cannot get on the standard L.. of course you can get it on the Grand L's.

The Kioti's comes standard with 1 rear remote and it is cheap to add a second one. The standard L's don't have any. Of course they can be added 3rd party by you or your dealer. Grand L's can have up to 3 ordered from the factory. But they ain't cheap.

The timed glow plug start sequence vs. the "you time it" start sequence is nice on the Kioti. Not saying the Kubota is bad, it is just a manual system. And I have never seen a diesel tractor that starts as easy as my Kioti. And I have owned several.

Well that is about it. The Standard L's are fine tractors, (all except for that one wart:)) they just don't have some of the things more upscale tractors do. The Grand L's have all of those things, (plus more weight, and more loader and 3pt capacity at a higher price point.. You pays your money and you takes your choice. I wish you all the best in your choice.

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK40SE HST #8  
James you forgot about the 3 point Control Lever in the back. For me this is a BIG plus as my implements are on Dolly's I can wheel to the back, set them on my Quick Hitch and lift and lock.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #9  
James you forgot about the 3 point Control Lever in the back. For me this is a BIG plus as my implements are on Dolly's I can wheel to the back, set them on my Quick Hitch and lift and lock.

Yep that is a Kioti/bobcat/McCormick/Landini exclusive.. can't get that on a 'bota of any stripe. As readers may or may not know Kioti/bobcat/McCormick/Landini are all made by the parent company Daedong in Korea. Kioti is just how the product is marketed in NA.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST #10  
Well covered James, tough to add to that, other than the Cab model is very well appointed for the difference in price.