Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues #1  

drew7a

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I was all set on purchasing a Kioti CK30 or Mckormick X.30 (same tractor) and I ran into a Bobcat CT230 being auctioned off from an out of state dealer going out of bussiness. Needles to say I got the tractor for a steal. (For a different post, bobcat claims it is not covered under warranty because it was bought from an auctioneer auctioning the dealers property and not the dealer) The unit was Manufactured iearly in 2010 but was new and only had 2 hours when I bought it . The tractor has been running great temp guage always read between the two dots, when I reached the 10 hour mark, I noticed the temp guage was showing it was over on hot. I quickly stopped the tractor. BUt when I opened the hood the radiator was not boiling over and it was about 160 degrees, After it cooled down I checked the screens in front of the radiator and they were clean. Now everytime I start the tractor within 1 minute the guage pegs to "H" and says it is overheating. i know it is not overheating beacause I can grab the block, open the radiator and feel around and everything is warm maybe 100 degrees but not hot. I replaced the temperature sending unit which I got from the local Kioti Dealer thinking that was the culprit but even after that I still am getting the same results (still shows it is running hot).

I know it cand be the thermostat because 1 minute if running nothing should overheat.I am totally stumped and frustrated.

When I looked at the workshop manual, it shows a temperature sending switch that runs from the guage to the ground. I can not find switch on the tractor, Does anyone know where this switch is located? Do any of you think this may be causing the problem? Has anyone experienced this problem? Any ideas on the fix? Could it be a bad cluster? or Bad Ground?

Thanks in adavance for your expertise.

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues #2  
I'm thinking poor wiring connections to the gauge. Maybe damp or corroded after sitting so long. As you indicate the ground connection for the gauge seems likely as the voltage seems like its floating up (assuming more voltage is "hotter"). While you are at it, also check the battery terminals. A lot of us have experienced leakage from the Bobcat branded battery causing excess corrosion on the terminals. One of the other threads has the Kioti service manual... See post 40.

Kioti Workshop Manual CK25/27/30/35 - Page 5

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues
SS4010 Thanks for tip and the link to the Kioti Manual, I will tear into it this AM and see what I find. Just curious though wouldnt all guages on the console act up if it was a console ground issue or do they all run separate grounds?

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues #4  
After looking at the schematic in the aforementioned workshop manual, it seems that the resistance of the temp sensor goes down as the temp goes up, just the opposite of what I said above. The manual suggests measuring between pin 2 and ground. I'd measure it cold, then compare as the the engine heats up. Assuming the engine really is not overheating, it would seem more likely to be a short in the sensor itself as it heats up. Might be worth checking out the price of a new temp sensor. I think the gauge cluster is quite pricey and north of $400.

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues
It ended up being a ground issue. I had to take the whole center column off and on the left side there were a couple of relay bolted to the firewall. The flasher relay is all plastic and the the ground lug was behind the plastic relay pressing up against the painted firewall. I just put the relay on first and put the nut one, I then put the the lug in front so the lug is sandwiched between two nuts and makes good contact. Everything is working good now.

Thanks for all the help!

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues #6  
It ended up being a ground issue. I had to take the whole center column off and on the left side there were a couple of relay bolted to the firewall. The flasher relay is all plastic and the the ground lug was behind the plastic relay pressing up against the painted firewall. I just put the relay on first and put the nut one, I then put the the lug in front so the lug is sandwiched between two nuts and makes good contact. Everything is working good now.

Thanks for all the help!

Excellent result finding the issue. I think you will be happy with the machine. Sometimes a bargain requires a few hassles but the Bobcats are solid and have some nice features for the money.

/ Bobcat CT230/ Kioti CK30 Temperature Guage issues #7  
I am curious, if you would....how much did you give for it at the auction?