Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread...

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread... #1  

Goplay

Tractor
John Deere
OK, I have been lurking for awhile. Great forum. I have 250+ acres, some flat, some rolling, some steep terrain. I don't have to farm for a living (thank goodness I might starve!) but I am pretty good at picking things up and have used my engineering background to resolve differences between the "experts" involved in some of the projects I have going on here. We will be doing some planting, but there is lots of property maintenance/forestry work that I want to do and not "outsource".

Anyhow, when I first bought the property this year, I got a couple of used (<200 hours) JD 4520, ROPS, that were used to simply pull the grape wagons around here. Great price, almost new and I equipped them similarily with FEL and hydraulics and additional rear hydraulic circuits. Since then, I have bought a Kubota mini-ex and compact track loader, and have put them to lots of work. I now never use the backhoe I have on one of the JD as the mini-ex is so much more effective. Knowing what I know now, I would have never bought a backhoe for a tractor (easily my worst purchase).

Surprise, surprise, I am thinking of upgrading one of the tractors. I want to dedicate it to field duties: tilling, lime spreading, mowing, box scraping, etc. Keep the other JD for generic roles.

Definitely want a full cab. So should I stick with a compact tractor but bigger engine, say a Kubota L6060, or jump up to the next size with a M9960 or JD5085?

The problem I find is that the utility sized tractors have all the conveniences like fender mounted 3 point hitch control, but you get complications like losing the easy-to-use HST. Also, they do seem a lot bigger! That said, I like the power I have experienced from the U55 and SVL90, and the 4520 seem lacking now.

Are there other technical functions I should be thinking about that differ between the two frame sizes?

I am not at all concerned about Tier 4, as the mini-ex and CTL are tier 4 and have been awesome. Heck, I love my Ford F350 with DEF!

Anyhow, I would appreciate any and all comments. I learn at least a little from everyone's input. Thanks in advance!

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread... #2  
I would recommend getting a tractor with a hyd reverser and at least two sets of rear hyd remotes. I personally don't like the electronically actuated trans & hyd controls that utilize switches & relays for control.

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread... #3  
U would look at a 6R series for your larger jobs and keep one of the 4520's for the close quarters work. If I didn't have to transport my tractors all the time I would go with the larger frame tractors, if you can leave it on your place I think you would prefer the larger frame size for tillage.

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread... #4  
U would look at a 6R series for your larger jobs and keep one of the 4520's for the close quarters work. If I didn't have to transport my tractors all the time I would go with the larger frame tractors, if you can leave it on your place I think you would prefer the larger frame size for tillage.

I agree with this for sure. The OP also mentioned giving up the hydrostatic transmission on larger machines. With the 6R's, you can get the IVT, and the PowerQuad transmission. The IVT operation is pretty close to the hydro of smaller tractors. When you get into that size of machine, you really see what John Deere does best.

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread...
Thanks guys. I will be keeping one 4520. I am leaning to the 5085 because of the deluxe hydraulic controls. Now 100hp is just a little more $...

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread... #6  
the best thing for you todo is drive the tractors your considering.an see wich 1 best fitts you.now id prolly really consider the 9960 kubota or a used 9540 with the hydro shuttle.

/ Another "Which tractor should I buy?" thread...
I've seen the suggestion a few times "drive the tractor". I guess it makes sense, but I am not sure how much insight that would provide. Driving around a parking lot doesn't really help assess how it is going to perform in the field, under load, with the kind of functions one will expect to do. A good example is it is near impossible to get a sense of the engine/transmission under heavy but varying load ie. how much shifting is required.

I guess the one exercise that could be tried at a dealer is picking up and removing attachments to see the relative differences. At the end of the day, I find we can accommodate differences in each tractors user-interface.

I am concluding the gotta-have feature for this size tractor are hitch remotes. I do like as a nice to have the JD deluxe valve controls. Not sure if there are any other functional differences between manufacturers?