PTO Generator...good idea?

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
I need a generator for use around the property. Anyone have experience with PTO generators? Just wondering what pros and cons the were between them and a regular gas generator.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #2  
PTO generator will tie up a tractor needed to run it. That's OK if you have more than one tractor. With the gas powered stand alone generator the tractor could haul it anywhere on you property and then have the use of both.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #3  
Down here the power is out, frequently...I'm on generator as I type!

The best solution in my book is a 10KV gasoline unit powered by a GX Honda engine. Once a year oil changes, Stabil in the fuel and done. Mine has over 800 hours and starts first pull, every time. Don't go with the Honda GX and you will likely regret the purchase.

When you install the transfer switch you simply attach only necessary circuits to the generator side and usually 10KV is plenty. I like George don't want my tractor tied up to a generator and in the long run like the runtime hours on a genset, not my tractor.

That said, one of the old criticisms of PTO generators was voltage and cycle instability. I think most of the new units have solved those problems and have lights or meters to get the voltage and 60 cycles right.

Fuel burn is probably a toss up, I'm paying 4.29 for diesel right now and 4.00 for gasoline. I can run the Honda for about ten hours on five gallons with average loads. Considering that when the power is on I pay .63 per kilowatt hour to our much loved power company, my genset probably doesn't cost me much more than municipal power. Yes, I did say .63 per kilowatt hour! Welcome to the islands, mon.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #4  
I view my 12KW PTO generator as an alternative fuel back up generator and a potential portable generator for welding. I would probably never paid retail price but $600 seemed reasonable.

I've also 6Kw and 1kw gas generators. If all you want to run are some power tools a PTO generator is probably overkill.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #5  
I had the same decision to make. I went with a honda gas generator for a few reasons.
When the power is out here its usually due to fallen trees or ice/snow. I usually need the tractor for cleanup if the power is out. My wife can't hook up the pto implements easily, so if i were out she would be stuck. Fuel use is far greater for the tractor to run the pto as is volume. I often use the generator for jobs on the property, i usually am using the tractor, backhoe or a 3pt too in these jobs.

On the flip side the pto generator is cheaper, usually larger and its 1 less engine to maintain.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #6  
I have a Honda brand generator, I think 5kVa. 176 pounds dry weight, GX340K1 engine. A Craigslist purchase at least 4 years ago after a multi day power outage. I changed the oil and fixed the air filter housing. I have not added gas to it yet so it proves that a generator on hand will prevent power outages. In any event it starts on the first pull if I remember to twist the fuel cut off valve to open. Yes with old, old fuel. I start it a few times a year just to make sure it is ready when needed.

I do have some rocks in the field I need to attack with a hammer drill so I will move the generator with the tractor so I can drill some holes in those rocks. I suspect the rocks are huge boulders slowly thrusting up so I have no desire to try to dig them up.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #7  
I have not added gas to it yet so it proves that a generator on hand will prevent power outages. In any event it starts on the first pull if I remember to twist the fuel cut off valve to open. Yes with old, old fuel.
About the same here. A generator on hand prevents house fires started by candles. SWMBO used to light candles all around the house. Bought the 6KW gas generator 10 years ago, have used it to run the frig for about 2 hours. But she hasn't lit a candle since because she knows the generator is there.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #8  
I have a Honda brand generator, I think 5kVa. 176 pounds dry weight, GX340K1 engine. A Craigslist purchase at least 4 years ago after a multi day power outage. I changed the oil and fixed the air filter housing. I have not added gas to it yet so it proves that a generator on hand will prevent power outages. In any event it starts on the first pull if I remember to twist the fuel cut off valve to open. Yes with old, old fuel. I start it a few times a year just to make sure it is ready when needed.

Don't neglect to add Stabil to the fuel. I guarantee you it will gum up and foul your carburetor if you don't.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #9  

I do have some rocks in the field I need to attack with a hammer drill so I will move the generator with the tractor so I can drill some holes in those rocks. I suspect the rocks are huge boulders slowly thrusting up so I have no desire to try to dig them up.

The hondas are great. Sold my old one to get a bigger one for close to what it was new, it was 36 years old and ran great! Bought a generac, which had serious issues within 5 hours (new). Got rid of it and got another honda, which has been flawless.

/ PTO Generator...good idea? #10  
One of the main reasons people go with PTO gens is the amount of power it will produce compared to a portable gas set up. I have a 12 kW just for emergencies. Cost me $1200. I look at it as insurance. I always keep at least 40 gallons of diesel on hand. The gas gen wasn't an option because it wouldn't be big enough to run my heat pump, however my PTO gen will run pretty much my entire house without load balancing.