How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow??

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #1  

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
If I buy skid shoes for my blade will that fix my problem? Winter is just around the corner and I know I will be plowing my driveway unfortunately it is gravel and come spring I will spend hours trying to pick all the gravel out of my yard, I try not and drop the blade all the way down but my drive is not perfectly smooth so I have problems. Any ideas?

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #2  
I have the same issue...I've just accepted the fact that I'll be raking and shoveling gravel in the spring...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #3  
If I buy skid shoes for my blade will that fix my problem? Winter is just around the corner and I know I will be plowing my driveway unfortunately it is gravel and come spring I will spend hours trying to pick all the gravel out of my yard, I try not and drop the blade all the way down but my drive is not perfectly smooth so I have problems. Any ideas?

Only plow when the temperature has been less than 20F for more than 10 hours

or

Put a full length piece of split pipe on your blade.

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #4  
I slit a piece of ABS pipe and slid it over the cutting edge of the blade on my 500 Polaris. It has worked well for me. Not sure what blade or plow you are using, so your results could vary. PVC was too brittle but ABS has worked well for me

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #5  
I pushed so much gravel onto my lawn last winter I had to buy a power broom, LOL. Try one or rent one, they work great!

This year I am going to try to minimize the damage by doing a better job marking where the edges of the driveway are and stay between the lines. Also, I will have a 2 inch steel pipe on the bottom of my front blade's cutting edge, I added that last last winter when the storms got really sloppy. On my new rear blade I'm going to try a rubber edge cut from a Tractor Supply horse stall mat.

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #6  
Usually the first snow is a light one that melts and then the gravel underneath will freeze. If you can keep from driving and walking on the gravel until you get this freeze, you will have the stones 'cemented' in place for the winter.

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #7  
If I buy skid shoes for my blade will that fix my problem? /QUOTE]
Hope so....

I purchased skid shoes for my rear blade and I'm hoping that I'll be able to plow my woods road without tearing up the grass/dirt. My woods road is mostly grass (I mow it with the riding mower) and don't want to plow up all the grass, so I'm hoping (and think they will) that the skid shoes will help keep my blade an inch or two above the ground when plowing.

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #8  
I have the same issue...I've just accepted the fact that I'll be raking and shoveling gravel in the spring...

Nope--just get a powerful leaf blower and you can blow back almost all the small gravel come early Spring. Mow the grass edges real short before snow flies and it's easier. Oh, nothing works to keep gravel where it belongs except a snowblower.

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #9  
I pushed so much gravel onto my lawn last winter I had to buy a power broom, LOL. Try one or rent one, they work great!

The power broom wound up being my answer also. A 73 inch snow blower on a Bobcat will blow those stones quite far! Always trying to perfect a way to limit the blown stones. Probably better to leave the blower up an inch or so and get a little base of hardpack. I'll keep experimenting, last year was my first with the skid steer.

/ How do I keep gravel out of my yard when plowing snow?? #10  
I cut a piece of two inch pipe and mounted to the cutting edge on the plow. Also mounted one on the cutting edge of my front mounted blower. Last year was very light on snow fall so did not have to do a lot of plowing, however, the pipe edge seemed to work quite well skimming over the gravel driveway and moving the snow. I mounted the blower just to see how it worked but there was not enough snow or a nice hard base to run over so it did throw a few stones and popped a shear pin on the second stage blower. This year may be different, ever since I bought the snow blower there has not been a heavy snowfall to get a good workout.