live power

/ live power #1  

allen6634

Silver Member
Tractor
600 ford
i am wondering is it possible to convert my 600 to live pto , (i don't feel safe the way it is) if there is a way to do this , has any one done it ?

/ live power #2  
i assume you have a 640 or a 650? those are the common non live pto setups.

what feels unsafe about the pto with it being live or non live? same dangers of a rotating shaft exist?

if yuo are having issues with backdriving from a mower pushing the tractor, then you should have already been using an ORC over running coupler to brevent this power backfeed. past that. live pto becomes much less usefull.. unless running somehting like bailing equipment.. which i doubt a 600 series is doing much of.

to answer your question... it would take plenty of work to get you to live pto. mainly because you'd be changing out the tranny and some other associated parts.

Since a 640 and a 660 cost generally the same. it's usually easier to simply sell your non live unit and BUY a live unit.. may come out money equal or a few hundred buck either way.

IF you really needed live power.

PS. 8xx series has more hp.. and yet. still sells in same price range... so if swapping tractors. look for a nice 861 with power steering. will pay a lil mor ethan your 640 or 650 will sell for.. but would be worth it.

now if you'd like more specific info.. post some more details about what you are actually trying to accomplish.

/ live power
i assume you have a 640 or a 650? those are the common non live pto setups.

what feels unsafe about the pto with it being live or non live? same dangers of a rotating shaft exist?

if yuo are having issues with backdriving from a mower pushing the tractor, then you should have already been using an ORC over running coupler to brevent this power backfeed. past that. live pto becomes much less usefull.. unless running somehting like bailing equipment.. which i doubt a 600 series is doing much of.

to answer your question... it would take plenty of work to get you to live pto. mainly because you'd be changing out the tranny and some other associated parts.

Since a 640 and a 660 cost generally the same. it's usually easier to simply sell your non live unit and BUY a live unit.. may come out money equal or a few hundred buck either way.

IF you really needed live power.

PS. 8xx series has more hp.. and yet. still sells in same price range... so if swapping tractors. look for a nice 861 with power steering. will pay a lil mor ethan your 640 or 650 will sell for.. but would be worth it.

now if you'd like more specific info.. post some more details about what you are actually trying to accomplish.
im not sure why the word safe was in there , i ment inconvienent, i would like to use my hogg to clean my ditch banks, i do have a orc, but it is a pain to back up put the tractor in neutrual let out the clutch , push it back in put the tractor in gear then drive off , i have had a live power tractor in the past ( made the mistake of selling it) it was great for maintain the edges of my ditches. my tractor is a 640. i know i sound like im whining , and yes i am lol but i like my little 600 and would rather make it fit my needs than buy another tractor.

/ live power #4  
see.. i'm not real clear on how having live power is gonna help you here.

say you had a 660. you are still going to have to CLUTCH to backup....

the mower will start spinning down. but with a proper ORC. you don't have to stop and let it spin down to shift... etc.

bottom line. you are in for some real work.

you think it's inconvienient to mw with an orc on a 4 or 5 spd non live.

then have fun swapping the trans :) making sure you get a compatible one. ie.. fine or coarse input and rear shafts. brake pedal arangement the same.. etc.

expect freight plus 500-800$ for the trans. hope you get a good one with good tubes in it for the hyds.

all the gaskets and orings for the plumbing.

when it's split.. might as well service clutch.. flywheel PB/TOB.. etc.

you'll be in over a grand i suspect.. unless someone is giving away trannies. IE.. you will be at, over, or around 1/3 the replacement cost of that machine.. vs a machine swap.. which could be money neutral, give or take a few hundred, and no greasy hands.

ps. time to own that service manual if you are wanting practice on swapping out the tranny.

also. buy a tranny jack and have some good heavy cribbing wood available.. and i'd suggest a big floor jack too.

wedge front axle and crib the front. jack the rear center front for support., trans jack under tranny.

drain fluids, remove plumbing, steering components, hood., battery, some wireing... etc..then flange bolts... slip rear back on floor jack, roll trans back. then out.

service clutch and tob and PB and input shaft seal , shoehorn new trans in.. wave gaskets and orings around it.. and bolt back up in reverse order assuming you bought all the correct parts.