Hitch camera

/ Hitch camera #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
I've started looking at trailer hitching cameras, both for their intended purpose, but also for use with my hydraulic auger.
While I love the functionality of the hydraulic auger, I've found that positioning it is a pain, since I can't see the drilling point from the cab. Hence the wireless hitch camera with magnetic base. I think it might even be useful for me to keep an eye on the outboard corner of my box blade or arena drag, which are hard to see from the cab.
There are a lot of camera choices, but the IBall looked to be most versatile for my purposes (ie, easily moving it from one vehicle to another). Has anybody here used one of these (IBall or other brand)? Do any others come with magnetic mount?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Bob

/ Hitch camera #2  
I went the DIY route on mine. I started with a pretty generic license plate backup camera & 3.5" stick-on lcd display, added a cigarette lighter plug w/wire for 12v, wire sufficiently long to carry power for the full length of the video signal line and a magnet to the camera mounting bracket.

It gets used on both the truck & magnum when doing trailer hookups. Total out of pocket was about $50 for the camera & display kit, the lighter plug, wire & magnet were junk box salvage.

Nick

/ Hitch camera #3  
Try Taddi Brothers,all kinds of cameras.I use one of their rear view on my tractor.Don't get less than a seven inch screen..too hard to see the small screens.

/ Hitch camera
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. Because I'd be moving it between my truck and my tractor, I'd prefer a wireless camera. Still, I might be able to put pieces together cheaper than a plug and play complete setup, if my adaptation/fabrication skills are up to the task.
Bob

/ Hitch camera #5  
Even the "wireless" models need power;they transmit wirelessly.Need to power the transmitter and receiver.

/ Hitch camera
Yeah, I need to install a power outlet somewhere in the cab to power the receiver/monitor, but the camera itself can be a wireless unit...otherwise I'd have to intall wires to every different place I might want to mount the camera (and I want to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle. I don't know what the operating life is of the battery in a wireless cam...maybe an hour or two at most?? For hitching a trailer, the camera only needs to operate for a couple of minutes, but some of my other imagined uses could involve an hour or more of continuous operation...possibly problematic for a wireless setup.
Bob

/ Hitch camera #7  
Regarding wires, in my case the wire set for power & video are long enough to easily reach from the tailgate to the front seat of a crew cab truck. I usually route them in through the rear door window & then across the seat back. It only stays set up long enough for the hookup & then everything goes back in the box. Not much hassle.

Nick

/ Hitch camera #8  
My first exposure to a rear view camera was in my new pick-up,some-thing I never would have ordered on a vehicle.Now I wouldn't be with out one.I believe I read they are going to be required on all new vehicles starting in 2015.My truck has a cap,very difficult to see out the back.The one I installed on my tractor is "on" all the time,should prove to be very helpful.

/ Hitch camera #9  
I don't know what the operating life is of the battery in a wireless cam...maybe an hour or two at most??
Actually be careful of the ACTUAL life of the battery. I bought one of those magnetic wireless. Loved it. Praised it. Only used it about 4 times in two years. By the third year it died. NO REPLACEMENT BATTERY. Was told to buy a new unit - for several hundred dollars. Won't even work plugged in because the battery is DEAD.

Now I'm looking for a cam that will wirelessly transmit directly to my Android Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with a user friendly battery.