Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG?

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #1  

HokieMS

Tractor
JD 4005
I'd really like to try some tig welding, especially after seeing the pictures on this site of all your welds. I currently own a Lincoln 120v flux core that works well for my needs, considering that I don't have 230v in my garage. I am very much an amateur, and this would be basically just for kicks, but I want to learn how to do it well. In a few years we will build a new house on our land and then I definitely want to upgrade to real machines, but I enjoy doing what I can with what I have. I am currently finishing up brush forks that will hook on my FEL bucket. I won't show off any close-ups of my welds :laughing: but I've never had one break (knock on wood).

I understand the 80 amp stick welder from HF is relatively easy to set up for tig, and gets surprisingly good reviews. Would this be a good option? Any better 110v options?

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #2  

Attachments

• Tig rig 200 amp.jpg
    Tig rig 200 amp.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Tig power block.jpg
    Tig power block.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 159
   / Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #3  
Easiest way? Find a local community/technical college with a class in TIG, then take it. It will be worth more than the fee in filler rods burned alone.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #4  
You need DC current for TIG (on steel)but what do you want to TIG weld? TIG is nice but unless you have something that specifically calls for TIG, it isn't needed very much around the farm or hobby shop.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG?
The thing is, I know I don't need it. I just sorta want it. However the more I read about it, the more I realize I probably won't ever get good at it because it will never be used except for practicing on scrap...
I still would like to try the Harbor Freight stick welder though. I'll put that one on the wish list.
Thanks.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #6  
Tig does come in handy for quite a few things. In my opinion a Tig rig is well worth the money to have around. Here is a stainless steel to mild steel Tig weld I did with my Everlast PA-200 CC only stick machine.

Attachments

• PowerArc200.jpg
    PowerArc200.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Tig stainless to steel.JPG
    Tig stainless to steel.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 171
   / Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #7  
I use TIG for all the things that are too small/thin to be able to stick weld effectively. I don't have a MIG machine, I just use scratch start TIG on my DC stick Machine an Everlast PA160.

Here is only one example of something I repaired with my TIG setup.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/239186-am-i-stupid-crafty.html

I have repaired several household items also.

Here is something I fabbed up. using TIG

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...896-making-extension-control-valve-lever.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/294161-making-small-chain.html

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at TIG? #8  
Is there a TIG 101 primer somewhere that I could watch/read to understand the entry-level basics of TIG welding?

The only welding I've ever done was years ago on the farm with an old Lincoln AC buzzbox stick welder. I have no idea what is required for TIG welding or how to get started, so a "TIG Welding For Dummies" or "TIG Basics" primer would be a good start for me.