what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case?

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #1  

dbotos

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-30, Kioti LB1914
Or more importantly, is it okay to use them for interfacing with a jack adapter plate? Holes are about 1/2" diameter on a 3.375" x 6" pattern. Need to lift up the back of the tractor to take one of the wheels off and was thinking about making a jack adapter plate that would have some 3/8"-diameter pins on it that stick into these holes. Other side would have a short length of tubing/pipe that the head of the jack would fit in.

Attachments

• TO-30_bottom_of_diff.jpg
    TO-30_bottom_of_diff.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 299
   / what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case?
Here's what I was envisioning. Plate is 1/4"; pins are 3/8" diameter and stick out 1/2".

Attachments

• TO-30_rear_jack_adapter_plate_model.png
    TO-30_rear_jack_adapter_plate_model.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 129
   / what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #3  
I think it for use with a swinging draw bar if I'm not mistaken.

Any idea what size bolts? That would make the plate even simpler if I just drill holes in it and use bolts to attach it. The holes under there on mine were pretty dirty - they didn't appear to be threaded - maybe I need to get under there and clean them better. :scratchchin:

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #5  
5/8 x 1 3/8ths.coarse.

Excellent - thanks! I'll have to get them cleaned out this weekend if it's not raining.

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #7  
Or more importantly, is it okay to use them for interfacing with a jack adapter plate? Holes are about 1/2" diameter on a 3.375" x 6" pattern. Need to lift up the back of the tractor to take one of the wheels off and was thinking about making a jack adapter plate that would have some 3/8"-diameter pins on it that stick into these holes. Other side would have a short length of tubing/pipe that the head of the jack would fit in.

They are for the drawbar.

Got the holes cleaned out this weekend. Good bit of dirt up in them. Used a combination of homemade thread chaser, a semi-spiraling o-ring pick, and a pipe brush to get it all out. They are indeed 5/8-11 with a thread depth of approximately 1.25".

Also changed the design of the plate so I can use some 1/4" x 4" flat stock I've got laying around:

Attachments

• TO-30_rear_jack_adapter_plate_model_rev_A.png
    TO-30_rear_jack_adapter_plate_model_rev_A.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 120
   / what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #9  
All that work to take a wheel off? What are you taking it off for?

It's not too bad - so far all I've done is futzed around on the computer with designs, laid under the tractor a little bit, and cut a few bolts down (the shortest 5/8-11s that Lowe's had were 2", so I cut them down to 1.375"). Figure it's worth a little time and material for the added peace of mind. I may have to add a hanging hole so I can put it up on the pegboard instead of rummaging and cursing when I need it again. :)

Left rear axle seal is leaking. Got oil down inside that wheel. The brakes weren't too confidence-inspiring last time I used the tractor, so I figured I'd better fix that before I use it again.