7520 right front end noise

/ 7520 right front end noise #1  

jrchafin

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahinda 7520
Hey folks. Have a 7520 that has been making a subtle clunk periodically in the right front for the past 6 months or so. I greased everything and checked the oil in the front hubs, which was fine. It was pretty hard to hear, so I figured I'd wait until it got more prominent before trying to find it. The noise occurs once per wheel rotation and is not affected by 4 wheel vs 2wheel drive. Just the other day the noise became louder, more of a snap than a clunk, still with the same other characteristics. Seems to be present more when I have weight on the FEL. Definitely coming from the right front.

I'm going to pull the hub cover plate and take a look, but wanted to see if anybody out there had experience with this and could give me some info on what to look for.

Thanks Mahindra crew!
Jon

/ 7520 right front end noise #2  
jack tractor up on that side and push on wheel let me know if you have play at pivot bearings?

/ 7520 right front end noise
There is no play. I am checking like I would the ball joints on a car. Took the hub cover off and it looks good inside. Fluid is gray with a few tiny specks of metal but nothing unusual I think.

I put the hub cover back on and use rtv sealant to seal it up. Hopefully that will be adequate. What oil should I use to refill it? 90W gear oil I assume?

I'm thinking this is probably coming from the U-joint that sits just inside of the hub. Now the question becomes, if I need to replace that, how do I get to it? The hub and pivot bracket essentially surround the U-joint.

Last edited:
   / 7520 right front end noise
So I'm 95% sure it's the U-Joint. When compared to the other side, I can notice slight play in the joint. The noise is still strangely intermittent. Silent sometimes, subtle others, loud occasionally. Assuming it is the U-joint, is there any harm in continuing to use it or should I replace it now? Don't want to damage anything further.

/ 7520 right front end noise #5  
When I changed my front hub and front axle oil, I used Shell 90w gear oil, the Spirax one I think. I'll have to look at the container when I get home.
hugs, Brandi

/ 7520 right front end noise #6  
By chance did you check the wheel bolts and lug bolts?

/ 7520 right front end noise #7  
There is no play. I am checking like I would the ball joints on a car. Took the hub cover off and it looks good inside. Fluid is gray with a few tiny specks of metal but nothing unusual I think.

I put the hub cover back on and use rtv sealant to seal it up. Hopefully that will be adequate. What oil should I use to refill it? 90W gear oil I assume?

I'm thinking this is probably coming from the U-joint that sits just inside of the hub. Now the question becomes, if I need to replace that, how do I get to it? The hub and pivot bracket essentially surround the U-joint.

So I'm 95% sure it's the U-Joint. When compared to the other side, I can notice slight play in the joint. The noise is still strangely intermittent. Silent sometimes, subtle others, loud occasionally. Assuming it is the U-joint, is there any harm in continuing to use it or should I replace it now? Don't want to damage anything further.
That u joint spins several times faster than the wheel. 1 clunk/wheel rev doesnt fit. To dissassemble you have to remove the ball jpiont plates top and bottom and then pull the hub and ujoint attached shaft out of the pumpkin. This will let you work on the [double] u joint.
larry

/ 7520 right front end noise #8  
Double check the lug nuts and the outer wheel nuts.Mine was doing almost the same thing.My wheel was moving slightly behind the lug nuts.It sounded just like gear noise,tightened with a long cheater pipe fixed the noise.Look at the wheel and see if there is any blackish/grey color around the lug nuts. If so I bet it's your problem.